Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless router question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dave.P

Dave.P

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:00 AM

No I am not trying to get one over on the cable company. I bought a Flat Screen 32" Samsung Smart TV to use as a HP replacement monitor.

Does anyone know If I can split the signal at the router and feed a line to the TV to trick it into thinking it has a cable feed so it can go online and

open options that the TV has locked me out of. I want to do a full setup on the TV.

Dave.P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:51 PM

If I am understanding you right, I think you are confused about cable tv vs internet. Plugging a cable wire into a smart tv does not give it internet. And plugging a network wire with internet into a smart tv does not give it cable tv.

Assuming that you have cable tv and cable internet, and assuming that your cable company does not still include analog tv, then the kind of set up I would figure for you is:

1. Cable company cable comes into the house to a:

2. splitter that splits the cable at least into 2,

3. one goes to the modem, the other(s) go to SD/HD cable receiver(s).

4. the modem attaches with an ethernet cable to a router while the receiver(s) attach to the tv(s) with hdmi to give the tv(s) Television but no internet

5. the router connects through either wired (ethernet cables) or wireless wifi to your smart tv and HP computer. This gives the smart tv internet, but not cable tv

[if the smart tv does not have wifi and if you are not able to run network cables through your house, then you would need something like a Wireless Access Point to go wifi from the router to the WAP and then wired ethernet from the WAP to the smart TV]

6. you would also attach the computer to the smart tv with dvi or vga or hdmi, to be used as a monitor.

Edited by bludshot, 10 December 2014 - 07:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users