Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro sp3 reinstallation problems!!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pcguy9999

pcguy9999

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:12 PM

I am in need of restoring windows xp on a old computer i have. The PC didn't come with a reinstallation disc, so i created one from a iso file and used wintoflash to make a usb. After running the first stages of the installation i came up with the hal.dll is missing or corrupt error. My bio set to default and i tinkered with the boot.init and just couldnt get it to work still which brings me to believe that the file is corrupt. So i made a hiren boot cd and ran the windows recovery console on it and i can't used the command expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ i get bad file or command error. I can use mini xp to do some basic things on windows xp but i cannot boot without using some kind of external drive. My goal is to fix the hal.dll error or interms repair install windows xp pro back onto my vostro 200. thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:25 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Your command should look like this at the recovery console prompt.

expand x:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\

Where x:\ is your CD drive letter and  c:\ the letter of your hard drive

You can verify the letters by typing

map 

at the prompt.

If that does not work follow the steps here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2014 - 10:26 PM.

#3 pcguy9999

pcguy9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

Is the hirens recovery console the same as windows xps? On the left part of the console where I input it has a R:\> I didnt remember that from windows xp and the map command returns bad command or file name when I type map or map arc which was the example I saw online of how to use it the expand commands return the same

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:20 AM

I just realized the problem. i386 is probably not in the same location on the Hirens disk as it is on a XP install disk so the command will fail. You need to find the correct path of the hal file on the hirens disk and you that path in the command or find an expanded hall file on the Hirens disk.  It's against forum rules to support problems with Hirens and I can't really help.

You can create your own bootable disk of a XP recovery console by using this utility posted here.

Missing Hal errors can also be due to corrupt boot.ini files. You can try the commands I linked to and see if those fix the problem.

#5 pcguy9999

pcguy9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:06 PM

Why is it against the rules to support a hirens error is it not a legal software?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,262 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:24 AM

Hiren's has MiniXP which technically is not legal. There are also shareware programs on the disk. These are not freeware programs, especially MiniXP.

Hirens is against forum policies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users