Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Software

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:31 PM

Ill start by saying my apologeze if this is the wrong forum for this topic.

I was personally wonder if it is true that you do not need anything on your computer then what it comes with. The reason i'm saying this is one of my friends brother in law is suppose to be good with computers and had told him you don't need any a bunch of spyware removal or a bunch of antivirus or firewalls, etc. If someone could clear this up because to me this does not sound right at all.
I can only learn what i want to learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:26 PM

If your friends Brother-in-law is saying not to use any Spyware/Virus protection, in my opinion he's a VERY uninformed individual.
Look at some of the logs posted in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum, and you can see for yourself what happens when your computer isn't properly protected.
Your friends Brother-in-law is an accident just waiting to happen (if it hasn't happened already). :thumbsup:

The only time this would be an option is if you're not ever connected to the internet.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:22 AM

If he means you do not have to pay for quality security programs then he is right. We have a list of tried & true security program and the users who can advise you on there benefits.

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:06 AM

The firewall and anti-virus apps you get with a computer are usually trial versions and you'll have to buy the full version after the trial time runs out. I usually get rid of them directly and buy my prefered anti-virus/firewall/anti-spyware or use some of the freeware replacements Acklan linked to.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:32 AM

Absolutly with the guys on this. If, you do not have anything in terms of Anti-Spyware/Mal-ware on your system, go straight to the link acklan pointed to.
If your friends brother-in-law states otherwise, for your own benefit, tell him what we have told you and download somthing to protect your system. With all the free programmes out there today to help beat malware, it baffels me why so so many do not bother in protecting there systems.
An anti-virus is not enough, so get protected Osiris! :thumbsup:
And well done on asking this question, its a shame more people dont. If they did,maybe the battle against malware would be more in our control than it is.
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:02 AM

Be sure you remove your current antivirus software prior to install and using a different antivirus program. Running two or more antivirusprograms can caue conflicts on your computer. That includes antivirusprograms provided by portals like Yahoo or AOL.

#7 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for clearing this up guys. I do have protection on my computer i have a freeware anti-virus because the 90day norton trial is up and i have a freeware firewall :thumbsup: i still have my norton on my computer should i remove it or keep it i usualy keep it to see what status my computer is in i would name of the names of the programs i have on my computer but i am not home. I figured this was wrong to begin with because the computer he fixed for someone had alot of spyware and so on slowing it down and messing with it and he mentioned the problem was to much software and anti-virus. I can see more then one anti-virus beings a problem but i dont understand it he is 20 odd and i am 16.

Could anyone also mention one of the top of the line freeware Anti-virus because i dont think the one i got is good anof. Also anything else you think i may need.

[ Edit ]
This is a bit off topic but does anyone know how i could fix the problem i have in firefox as i cannot copy and past in it.

Edited by Osiris, 19 June 2006 - 04:58 PM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:40 PM

You should not run two antivirus or firewalls at the same time on a computer. It will cause conflicts. I would remove all of the Symantec software.
I run and recommend the following..

AVG (freeware)
SyGate Firewall (Freeware)
Spybot S&D (freeware)
Ad-Aware SE (freeware)
SpywareGuard (freeware)
SpywareBlaster (Freeware)
Ewido 14 day trial. Then a manula run only. Still very much worth the effort.

The are found on the site at the following link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:42 PM

Any one of the Antivirus' listed in the link acklan gave, should work fine.
Personally, I use AVG.

This is a bit off topic but does anyone know how i could fix the problem i have in firefox as i cannot copy and past in it.

Have you tried a simple reinstall.
You won't loose any of your settings, or bookmarks.
Those are stored in a different folder, that isn't removed with a simple uninstall.

Delete Firefox using Add or Remove Programs.
Go to C: / Program Files, and delete the Mozilla Firefox folder.
Download a fresh copy of Firefox.
Now, reinstall Firefox.

If that doesn't work, the only other thing I can think of, would be a complete uninstall/reinstall.
Let me know if the above doesn't work, and I'll post the instructions.
It a little more involved, but easy.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:19 PM

:thumbsup: I thank you both and right now i have SpyBot S & D and Adaware i dont use them much though and i will give the Reinstall for FireFox a go and get back to you Tq.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users