Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple computers with multiple files ending in .exe*32

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EmmyTheGreen

EmmyTheGreen

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:55 PM

I could use some help. I'm not the best at this type of thing but I was having some major problems with my laptop and even though I ran both Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes they came back clean. But my wireless wouldn't stay connected and I was highly suspicious. I wondered what processes were running and when I started the Task Manager it showed multiple files ending in .exe*32. 

I know this isn't correct and I Googled and found this forum. I have downloaded the Farbar and the other two and it's helped a lot but since I don't know what I'm looking at or for and there are still multiple files ending like that I'm not sure what to do next. 

Also, I checked my desktop and discovered the same thing. It runs slow but I haven't done anything to it. I use LogMeIn and I'm concerned that I might have infected the other computes I was connected to. Can anyone help me, please? Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:59 PM

Processes that end with *32 are 32-bit applications running under WOW on a 64-bit OS. WOW64 allows 32-bit Windows-based applications to run on 64-bit Windows...see Running 32-bit Applications

Microsoft created the folder named SysWOW64 for storing 32-bit .dll files. WOW64 equates to "Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit". This folder contains all the 32-bit .dll files required for compatibility which run on top of the 64-bit version of Windows. WOW64 is the x86 emulator that allows 32-bit Windows-based applications to run on 64-bit Windows but x86 applications are re-directed to the x86 \syswow64 when seeking the x64 \system32. The C:\Windows\System32 folder still exists in the 64-bit version of Windows but it is used as a repository for 64-bit .dll files.

Some examples...

a2guard.exe *32
firefox.exe *32
EditPadLite.exe *32
HPOSD.exe *32
plugin-container.exe *32
mbam.exe *32
mbae.exe *32
WinPatrol.exe *32

For a more detailed explanation, please refer to:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 EmmyTheGreen

EmmyTheGreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:35 PM

Oh! Well I feel like a bit of an idiot. LOL Thank you so much for the information! I'm reading through it now. :)

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:38 PM

Oh! Well I feel like a bit of an idiot.

Why? Because you did not understand something and asked? No I find that to be quite smart.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:35 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif