Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Virus...looking for a good realtime antivirus program

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rayc325

rayc325

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

Hi All,

I am new here but I was wondeing if anyone has seen the GuardBytes virus? It hijacked my laptop and wouldn't let me open any browser, run any antivirus software, or even boot in safe mode while asking me to register.. I Goolgled it but I got no hits.

I was finally able to run the Super antispyware program which found some adware and eventually let me reboot in safe mode and run malwarebytes and a couple other programs to clean it out.

So I am now looking for a good realtime antivirus program to keep this from happening again. Thanks

Edited by quietman7, 09 December 2014 - 06:51 PM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum to make sure your computer is malware free

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs. Please read:However, an anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.You need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on spyware, adware, pop-up ads, browser hijackers and PUPS (potentially unwanted programs).Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users