Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading from 1.5 TB HDD to 256 GB SSD and 3 TB HDD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hfabry

Hfabry

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

I have a Dell Studio 8100 desktop which came with a 1.5 TB HDD. I was recently informed that the original drive is failing and overloaded, so I decided to go ahead and upgrade my system with a 256 GB Crucial SSD for the Windows 7 Home Premium system and move the files on the current HDD to the new HDD. .I was able to install a clean version of Windows 7 Home Premium on the SSD and boot successfully using that.

I attempted to clone the original drive to the new HDD with Acronis Drive Image 2014 but keep getting a fatal error message from Acronis about diffuculty finding the boot partition. I currently have the 3 TB HDD initialized as MBR and that does not help with the error message. So, I am looking for help getting my new HDD set up with my current files, programs, etc. Since that new HDD is 3 TB, I would like to use GPT format if possible. The SSD is formated as MBR since I understand I cannot boot with UEFI using this computer.

Once I am able to accomplish that I would like to get the new SSD desktop configured like my current desktop is and be able to run all my programs from there.Advice about doing that would sure be helpful and appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:41 PM

Cloning the older 1.5TB HDD to a new drive is redundant, since you'll be cloning over Windows too, and since you're already booting from the SSD, that's just a waste of space. It would be much easier if you booted into the Windows on the SSD, making sure that the 3TB and 1.5TB are plugged in, and then accessing the files and transferring them directly.

mYIGVc5.png

#3 Hfabry

Hfabry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

Thank you for the advice. I was able to get all the files transferred to the new HDD. However, I would like to get the new SSD desktop configured like my old desktop was and be able to run all my programs from there.Advice about doing that would sure be helpful and appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users