Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Katman401

Katman401

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:50 PM

Have a question hope I posted in correct forum.
I have WIFI on laptop running Win.7 and wondering if I could download Ubuntu ISO file and burn it to disk and then run it in a PC that is currently running Win. XP home edition? May not be possible but better safe than sorry. Thanks for your input and if it can be done a step by step procedure sure would be appreciated. The PC is to old to run anything later than XP. Been wanting to try different OS and this seems like a good time to try. Thanks in advance 
Katman401

Edited by Budapest, 09 December 2014 - 04:55 PM.
Moved from XP ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

I have WIFI on laptop running Win.7 and wondering if I could download Ubuntu ISO file and burn it to disk and then run it in a PC that is currently running Win. XP home edition

Yes.

Download the ISO.

When it's downloaded just double click it and Windows 7 will burn it for you. You will need a blank CD or DVD.

The PC is to old to run anything later than XP. Been wanting to try different OS and this seems like a good time to try.

Can you give us some PC specs?

How much ram? CPU type? Grafix card if any?

Ubuntu may not be the best thing for you.

My suggestion.

Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" - Xfce (32-bit) - Linux Mint

http://youtu.be/K-WDUTLIo_Y

Edited by NickAu, 09 December 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

Ubuntu will run on your comp if you have 500 mb of RAM. Slowly, but surely. More RAM...the better.

If you post back, tell us a bit about the computer. Brand name and model plus any improvements such as

extra RAM or graphics card.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:14 PM

I recommend trying to run(in this order) Mint Mate, Mint Debian, and then Mint XFCE. I tried XFCE on one computer (because of the computer's age) (don't think it was Mint) and it was not too pretty. I then tried the Debian version and it ran fine. Actually you Mighty want to start with the Debian version because if you do you NEVER have to upgrade it as it is what is called a 'ROLLING RELEASE' meaning it upgrades itself as it updates.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php

Edited by bmike1, 09 December 2014 - 06:19 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#5 Katman401

Katman401
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

I have WIFI on laptop running Win.7 and wondering if I could download Ubuntu ISO file and burn it to disk and then run it in a PC that is currently running Win. XP home edition

Yes.

Download the ISO.

When it's downloaded just double click it and Windows 7 will burn it for you. You will need a blank CD or DVD.

The PC is to old to run anything later than XP. Been wanting to try different OS and this seems like a good time to try.

Can you give us some PC specs?

How much ram? CPU type? Grafix card if any?

Ubuntu may not be the best thing for you.

My suggestion.

Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" - Xfce (32-bit) - Linux Mint

http://youtu.be/K-WDUTLIo_Y

Here is more info on PC.

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version                                           EVEREST v2.20.405

Homepage                                          http://www.lavalys.com/

Report Type                                       Quick Report

Computer                                          SUES

Generator                                         Owner

Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)

Date                                              2014-12-10

Time                                              08:33

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:

Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 2

DirectX                                           4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Computer Name                                     SUES

User Name                                         Owner

Motherboard:

CPU Type                                          Intel Celeron, 2400 MHz (24 x 100)

Motherboard Name                                  Dell Dimension 2400

Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Brookdale-G i845GEV

System Memory                                     2048 MB  (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type                                         Phoenix (12/02/03)

Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)

Communication Port                                ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:

Video Adapter                                     Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller  (64 MB)

3D Accelerator                                    Intel Extreme Graphics

Monitor                                           CyberVision C70-2  (5V94686943)

Multimedia:

Audio Adapter                                     Creative SB Live! Series Audio Processor

Audio Adapter                                     Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:

IDE Controller                                    Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB

Floppy Drive                                      Floppy disk drive

Disk Drive                                        ST3160215ACE  (149 GB, IDE)

Disk Drive                                        SEAGATE ST660211USB USB Device  (5 GB, USB)

Disk Drive                                        Maxtor 6L100P0  (93 GB, IDE)

Optical Drive                                     ATAPI CD-RW 52X24  (52x/24x CD-RW)

Optical Drive                                     HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LP21

SMART Hard Disks Status                           FAIL

Partitions:

C: (NTFS)                                         152617 MB (144457 MB free)

F: (NTFS)                                         95605 MB (95538 MB free)

Total Size                                        242.4 GB (234.4 GB free)

Input:

Keyboard                                          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse                                             PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Peripherals:

Printer                                           hp photosmart 7150 series

USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82801DB ICH4 - USB Controller [A-1]

USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82801DB ICH4 - USB Controller [A-1]

USB2 Controller                                   Intel 82801DB ICH4 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]

USB Device                                        802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card

USB Device                                        photosmart 7150

USB Device                                        USB Mass Storage Device

I just want a good OS as simple as possible to operate on this setup other than windows. any and all help appreciated.

katman401

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:57 PM

Looks like you will need to replace the hdd if you decide to install...which would be the thing to do if the

Live Linux version you choose is compatible with your computer....finds and runs the necessary drivers, etc.

that are needed for your hardware....which I would expect Ubuntu or Mint to do.

To be on conservative side....I think Lubuntu or Xubuntu would most likely have the least if any problems due 

to minimum requirements.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:02 PM

I think Lubuntu or Xubuntu would most likely have the least if any problems due 

to minimum requirements.

+1

lubuntu | lightweight, fast, easier

http://youtu.be/q2qkzX5iIbo

Xubuntu

http://youtu.be/lOOAfwmmOeQ

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:41 PM

If the 14.04 or 14.1 versions don't work, try the 12.04 versions - which will update to 12.04.5 and are supported until 2017.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:34 PM

Looks like you will need to replace the hdd if you decide to install...which would be the thing to do if the

Live Linux version you choose is compatible with your computer....finds and runs the necessary drivers, etc.

buddy, would you explain for me why the OP would need a new HDD.  Would this be because of size or age?  I could not figure out what the size was, either this:  ST3160215ACE  (149 GB, IDE) or Total Size 242.4 GB (234.4 GB free) Thanks, just trying to learn.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:27 AM

Katman401,  :welcome: to BC Forums! 

I have that very same PC sitting in the closet, was placed in there the morning my XPS 8700 in sig below was delivered. It should run Linux Mint 17.1 "MATE" 32 bit edition fine. Plays movies & other media out of the box. Though as my colleague buddy215 has noted, you'll need a HDD, and chances are, you'll have to find a used one on eBay or elsewhere. If so, Do Not purchase any so called "White Label" HDD's, or other off brand that looks like popular branded drives. These are 3rd party refurbished, and unlike the OEM refurbishing process, isn't to the same standards. I once made the mistake of purchasing one & the one with over 1,000 hours ran better. HDD's are supposed to be remanufactured in a medically sterile & climate controlled environment. 3rd party refurbishers could be done from anywhere & all it takes is dust, lint, pollen, anything, to land on those drive while rebuilt, and the result is immediate performance loss, followed by a short life. 

You can get used ones for $20 or so. As you'll read below, please let my mistakes be your lesson, do not pour a lot of cash into this PC. There is good reason why mine is in the closet. 

You will need to do one thing during the install phase though, during the automatic boot countdown, press the Tab button, arrow key down to Force PAE Mode (or similar wording) for it to install. The reason is, while Mint 13 is for PAE & non-PAE computers (older 32 bit CPU's), most newer versions of Linux are PAE only. Linux Mint 17.1 MATE edition removed a shackle for many by having Force PAE by choice in that menu, rather than having to manually enter it, which never worked for me. 

I don't recall the Xfce version having this option, as I tried Mint 17 Xfce three times on a similar aged one, and would have seen the choice there at least once. 

Forget Mint Cinnamon on that one, many much newer computers doesn't meet the basic graphic requirements, which are higher than Windows 7 for best looks. 

It was just today that I installed Mint 17.1 MATE on that T42 ThinkPad, and the screenshots are in a Topic I created here (Post #20). 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558728/linux-mint-171-rebecca-released/page-2

Screenshot-19.png

Screenshot-SystemMonitor.png

Hopefully this is a signal that others will follow to compete, that PAE enforcement is like a shackle, forcing users to run either older editions that will be unsupported in just a couple of years, and the added penalty of having less features as a result of that in some cases. Mint is already the #1 Linux OS, this newly released out of the box option will only serve to make their following larger, 

Plus as one can see in those pictures that the Start Menu is much like that of Windows. 

I'm not saying that the latest Ubuntu doesn't offer the same by default, but at the same time, have heard no one say it's non-PAE supported out of the box either. Too, it's more graphic intense, kind of like Windows 8 in that perspective, having to type in the first few letters of an app, then clicking onto at at the top as it appears. If you've downloaded the latest Ubuntu, boot into it from your Windows 7 computer & see, the install media serves as a live OS at the same time. 

One other thing to mention, since I have that same PC. Though I upgraded the CPU to the max, to a P4 (Northwood) 3.06GHz with H/T CPU, the biggest difference I seen was that it kept my legs warmer, it gave at best, a 15% increase of system speed, and here's one of the reasons why. That CPU & MB chipset has only a 512MiB L2 cache, whereas the T42 ThinkPad on the pic above has a 2MiB one. It's not all about the CPU's GHz output, though if it ran XP OK, you should still be fine, it's just something you need to know. Had I known that to begin with, would have sought another MB for it, the one in the Dimension 4600 was reported to be a great replacement, at least it had slots for 4GB total RAM. 

That was another useless upgrade for me, was jumping from 768MiB (a 256 & 512MiB was paired together when I got it) to 2GiB, I really didn't see $60 worth of performance, the sticks were purchased at Newegg. I threw too much cash into that computer, enough to be sitting here with a 256GiB Samsung 850 Pro at least, and will never make the same mistake again. 

Did I also mention that I purchased a SATA card (Rosewill RC-212) to add a SATA HDD that I had on hand, and optical drive that was purchased for it, it found a resting place in another PC that I got at a good deal. 

If you've downloaded the latest 32 bit version of Ubuntu, you can try it, boot & see if it has the Force PAE Mode offered (boots just as Mint above), if it'll boot, try it out. My suspicions are that Ubuntu is too graphical for that PC, and the 512MB L2 cache will be a lot to overcome, but what's there but a DVD to lose? 

Oh, and before I leave this post, you'll need the original PS/2 keyboard to change the boot order to make the DVD boot first, on mine, a USB keyboard wouldn't allow me to make changes. 

No matter what we're here to help.  :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,985 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:43 AM

pcpunk...   SMART Hard Disks Status                           FAIL

Two hdd....one 160 GB and one 100 GB

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,597 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:31 AM

pcpunk...   SMART Hard Disks Status                           FAIL

Two hdd....one 160 GB and one 100 GB

I see, thank you.  At the end it says (IDE).  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:33 AM

If you do want Ubuntu.... Please download here from their official site

I highly recommend the 14.04 LTS or Linux Mint 17

You can use the super easy to use universal usb installer  to install the .iso to a usb. You will need generally a 1-2gb flash drive

1. Plug in your flash drive

2. Run the program

3. Select your disto from the drop down box

4. Click "browse" and it'll probably find the iso in your downloads folder, if not there, whever you chose to save the iso

5. Select your flash drive from the drop down box

6. Check the box beside format drive

7. Ignore the persistent cache

8. Click create

9. Let it install and finish

( SPECIAL NOTE: At this point if you have any personal folders in your computer, place them on the root the flash drive ( the area you see when you first double click on the icon in the my computer area) before continuing to step 10 or else you'll lose your personal data. I'd recommend just creating a "My Folders" folder )

10. Leave Plugged into your computer, reboot,  and open the boot options menu when the computer first starts up(usually F11, F12, Esc, all depending on your computers model)

11. You’ll see multiple options like

• HDD

• FDD

• CD/DVD

• USB ( or it will sometimes show the brand of the drive, example: Sandisk)

Using the arrow keys, select the usb/flash drive and press enter on your keyboard

( If the usb drive option does not work, you may need to enable legacy mode in the bios)

12. It will run the distro automatically and give you the option to try, install, or just install

Also to note!!! Linux does NOT run  .exe  or .msi programs like you're use to on windows.  If you're using ubuntu, you'll need a .deb package program.

Major software vendors like google chrome and skype offer .deb installations. You will need to enter a password every time you want to install anything, tedious? Maybe... but helps to keep your computer from having unwanted downloads.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#14 Katman401

Katman401
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:56 PM

To be on conservative side....I think Lubuntu or Xubuntu would most likely have the least if any problems due 

to minimum requirements.

Just wondering not questioning, why would I need to replace the hdd?

katman401. 

#15 Katman401

Katman401
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:29 PM

Would you explain what Deb packages are and direct me to where to get them , please ?

I have downloaded and burned ISO for Linux Mint 17.1, Lubuntu 14.10.i3, and ubuntu 14.04.1L.

Will I need deb packages for all of the systems or just ubuntu 14.04.1L if I decide to try it ?

Sorry for all the questions , I am not familiar with Linux systems , but i have been reading . . . 

I will be installing the OS on a PC that is running 32 Bit windows XP home edition at the present time. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users