Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen of death

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Traciszoo

Traciszoo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hello, was wondering if I could get some help as I am at the end of my knowledge database. I'm running windows 7 pro, pretty suse my husband clicred something he wasn't supposed to and now comp won't boot. Get a black screen with a movable mouse cursor. No safe mode, no task manager, I've tried running start up repair bother from f8 and windown disk and it says it cannot auto repair. Sys restore says no restore points even though I know there are some. Tried sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:windows says it found corruption but couldn't fix it. Do not want to do a wipe as I have pictures and such that are irreplaceable. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 11 December 2014 - 12:58 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buck1es

Buck1es

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

For the SFC scan you ran, did you try /offbootdir=*which ever drive letter is system reserved*? To find this out, open command prompt when you are start up repair or boot from a windows CD, and type diskpart. This will load Disk Management. Then type list volume. It will give you a list of all drives and drive letters. If you boot from a CD you can try doing the drive letter for the CD Rom and see if it can do an SFC scan from the CD. Worth a shot, and a method that has worked for me on occasion.

#3 Traciszoo

Traciszoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

Buck,
I have 3 volumes, two of which are DVD roms and my main partition which is C. So when I ran the sfc C is the letter I used. Are you saying I should /offbootdir=E (which is my DVD drive) and end it with the /offwindir=C (which is my main partition)?

#4 Buck1es

Buck1es

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

If you are booting off the CD use which ever drive letter the CD is in.

#5 Traciszoo

Traciszoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

So after a bit of research I find that I do not have a system reserved volume. Only:

Volume 0 E dvd-rom
volume 1 D dvd-room
Volume 2 C NTFS partition

That's all.

#6 Buck1es

Buck1es

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:23 PM

Are you booting off a Windows CD to get into system repair? Or are you pressing F8 and going to repair system?

#7 Traciszoo

Traciszoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

Tried both. Did diskpart both ways and get the same result.

#8 Buck1es

Buck1es

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

Ok that method is not working. Lets try another one. This may not work, but sometimes you get lucky.

Boot your PC with the “Last Known Good Configuration” option.

This quick little option can be accessed by following these simple steps:  

1. Press and hold down the “F8” button as you boot up your PC and before the Windows logo is displayed. This will bring you to the Advanced Boot Options, wherein a list of options on booting up your Windows 7 system is provided.

2. Locate the “Last Known Good Configuration” option and select it by pressing the Enter key. Your PC should now start booting Windows. Wait and see if it works.

If it does not work, I believe there is something in your registry under windows login that is preventing anything from loading. Usually caused by malware or a virus. Try the below method and see if it works. 

YouTube Video

There is a walk through underneath the video if needed.

Edited by Buck1es, 09 December 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#9 Traciszoo

Traciszoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

Well I did that and it did indeed find 2 Trojans but it seems the damage is done. Ran sfc again and it says it cannot repair something is corrupt. Run choose and it says all is good even though the end report tels me 4kb in bad sectors. Any other ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users