Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver detective

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:53 PM

Hi guys,

Recently I try to understand if the driver detective is adware or something malicious.

I read allot of different opinions and I was hoping I can get your professional opinion on this matter.

thanks in advance,

Andy 

Edited by hamluis, 09 December 2014 - 05:34 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buck1es

Buck1es

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

In my experience, Driver Detective or any other program like it, is usually malware. It is hard to trust some 3rd party application to find and install drivers for you. 

Check out this forum post about Drive Detective : http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6138_102-298984/warning-dont-get-driver-detective/

A lot of other places are saying it is "Safe" but yet is total scam.

I would advise to uninstall it. If you have paid for it, from what I have read, you will not have luck getting your money back.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:56 AM

Trash. Nuff said, YMMV.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:25 AM

I would advise to uninstall it.

Trash. Nuff said, YMMV.

I would agree.

Did it install any tool bars or other software?

Edited by NickAu, 10 December 2014 - 05:28 AM.

#5 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:32 AM

In my experience, Driver Detective or any other program like it, is usually malware. It is hard to trust some 3rd party application to find and install drivers for you. 

Check out this forum post about Drive Detective : http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6138_102-298984/warning-dont-get-driver-detective/

A lot of other places are saying it is "Safe" but yet is total scam.

I would advise to uninstall it. If you have paid for it, from what I have read, you will not have luck getting your money back.

Pretty ironic citing a CNET site as an authority on malware.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:46 AM

Pretty ironic citing a CNET site as an authority on malware.

That is pretty funny but it's unfair to group CNET's Forums with it's Spy/Ad/CRAP/Malware infested download pages IMHO.

#7 Pestyone

Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

I have use IO driver booster I love it; use it 1x a week and then good to go and not malware  :  )

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:40 AM

I'm going to re-post one of my personal rant on driver updaters, just so you know what you're dealing with. Peystone, I also recommend you to uninstall Driver Booster, as well as every iObit software you have.

I'll explain you how it works under Windows when it comes to drivers, other people might disagree with me, but over the time, I've experienced with so many drivers related issues and these programs that it becames an obvious big no in my head. Think of drivers as "middleman" between the hardware and the software. They are what the software use to communicate with the hardware and vice-versa. When you update your your drivers (except for the GPU ones), you do not really increase their performance at all. You cannot boost an hardware component level over the level it has been conceived on (when you overclock a CPU or a GPU, or even your RAM, the capabilities of overclocking are present on the hardware, just not enabled), so even if you update your drivers, you won't get any real "boost" of performance on your system. When a driver update is released, it's mainly to address a bug or an issue in the precedent driver version. If you didn't encounter a single issue with your current drivers, then you have no need to update them to their latest version. This is because the bug present on these drivers might only affect a certain brand of computer, laptop, when it works with a specific software, service, I/O interaction, etc. In other words, I could relate it to a pretty common expression "Why change it (or upgrade it) if it still works perfectly fine?". Then comes what we call the "Driver Updaters". You'll notice that under Windows, and many other OS, a lot of people create software that tries to tell you that you "need" something. You need something more that you don't have. And this is exactly the case of Driver Updater software. They try to tell you that if you keep all your drivers up to date, your system will run faster and always be performant. And if you understood my explanation above, you'll see that it's not true, hence this is "false advertising". The goal of these software are to make you download them, since they are either paid by the download they have, or they bundle other applications and programs in their installers (which we call foistware). The author of the program is paid by these foistware maker to include their program in his program installer. Therefore, you end up installing one product that contained 3 or 4 others and just "bloated" down your system. Also, most of them will ask you to "pay" in order to unlock more benefits or better updates, which is totally false. Drivers updates are totally free from your hardware manufacturer website or your computer/laptop manufacturer website. And this brings anothing point, we don't know where these programs downloads their drivers from. Are they really downloading the drivers they say they download and install? Are they really downloading them from the manufacturer's website? Who knows. There's been some tests that have been done by other reputable websites, like HowToGeek, who tested these Driver Update programs. On a fresh installation of Windows, with the most updated drivers from the manufacturer, the program would report that tons of drivers were outdated and needed to be updated. How is it possible? It's not, it's just inventing that in order to push you to use the software and ultimately buy it. In a whole, you could say these software as a big scam. The same goes for "PC Boosters", "PC Optimizers", "Registry Cleaners" (which are dangerous to use by the way), etc. It looks like I have a total hate of these programs and I'll be honest, I do. But I'm not hating for no reason on them, I'm hating on them because I know them, I know how they "work", I know that they don't work like they say and overall, I know that they cause way more issues than they solve.

Source: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/560668/blue-screen-crash/page-2#entry3576691

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Pestyone

Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:02 AM

Aura -

Hang on their slow down ; what a silly rant you posted .      IO drive booster does not and has never gotten the PC to runner faster or cleaned out history; I use crap cleaner and Ccleaner for that for over 8 yrs and never had a problem; booster does not clean or speed up the registry .

All it does it find out of date or corrupted drivers from IO and other driver sites; find the correct match then delete then re install with the correct updated driver; that's all nothing else happens that you chat up in your huge rant;  you've have it dead wrong .

Have used IO drive booster and other IO software ware for over 5 years on lappys and a desk top and no problems or crashes.

Sorry your so bloody mixed up  .   .   .    

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:12 AM

Pestyone, I think you didn't read my post correctly. If you re-read it, you'll see that I explain how it doesn't matter if you run outdated drivers on a system, plus we have no idea of how the product actually works and if it actually grab the right drivers for each device (maybe a device requires an OEM driver from the manufacturer of the computer, and not the hardware itself). Also, iObit isn't a trustable company if you ask me, just read by yourself:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/29681-iobit-steals-malwarebytes-intellectual-property/
http://archive.news.softpedia.com/news/Malwarebytes-IObit-Stole-Our-Signatures-Database-125928.shtml
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2468070/endpoint-security/iobit-accused-of-stealing-from-malwarebytes.html
http://www.cnet.com/news/malwarebytes-accuses-rival-of-software-theft/

You'll never see a technical support recommending iObit products, or even less "driver updaters". I'm sorry, but I've seen this same program, along with iObit programs breaking so many Windows systems that I stopped counting a long time ago. You are free to ignore my advice and recommendation, but what I'm telling you is the truth and will spare you future issues under Windows. Also, the part about Registry Cleaners and PC Optimizers is to say that Driver Updaters programs are the same "crap" as these.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

You'll never see a technical support recommending iObit products, or even less "driver updaters".

Correct. I have yet to see anybody say " can you please download Iobit XXXX and run that to fix problems" . On the other hand I see lots of Un Install Iobit XXXX.

Edited by NickAu, 20 January 2015 - 03:55 PM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:20 PM

You'll never see a technical support recommending iObit products, or even less "driver updaters".

Correct.

Good to see that I'm not the only one saying that :) Someone once told me on another forum that during a certification exam (I forgot which one), they had to use a driver updater to find and install the drivers on a fresh copy of Windows. I honestly doubt he was telling the truth, I'm sure that such certifications would encourage you to learn how to find the drivers manually and install them in complicated situations, such as no Internet access or no remote access to the machine. Drivers are updated way too often, and computer/laptop models are being released way too often as well to create the perfect driver updater solution. Not going to happen anytime soon. The closest you get to "driver updaters" and that are actually legitimate, are the manufacturer software that comes installed as part of OEM software on a prebuilt computer, that checks for drivers update for your laptop/computer and helps you download and install them. However, these are legitimate since they are made specifically for your computer/laptop and grabs the drivers for that specific model on the manufacturer website.

Edited by Aura., 20 January 2015 - 03:21 PM.

unite_blue.png

#13 Pestyone

Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

Auro  -  Never had a problem with I.O. ; been using their products for the past 5 yrs plus and  you slam them for no reason and you say its ok to run outdated drivers; since when; outdated and corrupt drivers slow down; gum up and crash the computers; lets hear you vent some more about how that's ok  and how that should be encouraged .

You happen to update the software every time I.O. finds new drivers updating your older drivers to keep the system running at 100%.

Have a feeling you've never used I.O. products; I have on 2 towers and three lap tops ; thinking you need to be hum whats the general term awww yes " Politically/geeky correct " and follow the lead of others .      l a t e r  

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

you slam them for no reason and you say its ok to run outdated drivers; since when; outdated and corrupt drivers slow down; gum up and crash the computers; lets hear you vent some more about how that's ok and how that should be encouraged .

You obviously didn't read my post. Outdated drivers doesn't means that they are corrupted, nor failing, nor not working. It's not because a driver is old that it should be updated. If you actually read my post and understood what drivers are, you wouldn't say that. So I'll give you another chance, read my post and if you don't understand what I explain in it, tell me what exactly and I'll explain it to you.

You happen to update the software every time I.O. finds new drivers updating your older drivers to keep the system running at 100%.

Once again, you didn't read my post completely. Updating your drivers and having your drivers on their latest version will NOT optimize your system performance nor make it run faster.

Have a feeling you've never used I.O. products; I have on 2 towers and three lap tops ; thinking you need to be hum whats the general term awww yes " Politically/geeky correct " and follow the lead of others . l a t e r

I don't need to use their products, I faced enough cases on the web and in real life where people used these products and got messed over by them. And I follow the lead of the others? You obviously have no idea of what you're talking about since it's the first time you've seen me here most likely.

If you don't care about the recommendations of a real life technical support, why are you even asking for advice on this forum?

Edited by Aura., 30 January 2015 - 05:32 PM.

unite_blue.png

#15 Pestyone

Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:41 PM

Seeing or not seeing you here isn t the issue so don t try to change it;  I.O. Driver booster keeps the system running at 100 % replacing corrupt and out of date drivers with new updated ones that's all I have said;  as you wonder off in different directions i.e.;

boosters and registry cleaners ; speed up's etc.     The O.P. wants help with drivers nothing else .

As for my using this site hoping to get help with problems I don't  answer's to so I ask  here .

Have a nice day - later .     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users