Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Question.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rolling2live

rolling2live

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:52 PM

OK, so recently i made a post about adding 1 GB of RAM to my computer, well i got that problem fixed. But now, the two USB ports in the front of my computer won't recognize anything that i plug in. ive tried 3 different devices and my computer doesn't even notice them. when i plug stuff into the back two ports it works fine though. Any ideas?

Specs:

Windows XP home
Intel Celeron 2.4 ghz
1.2 GB of RAM
ProSavage S3 graphics

i built the computer myself, so it is not any brand name. i have checked to make sure nothing came unplugged etc. thanks for any help.

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 19 June 2006 - 10:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

Take a look in Device Manager and see if there are any open lines especially for the USB area?

#3 rolling2live

rolling2live
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

It says that all Devices are working properly.

this is the message i get when i try to plug something into one of the two ports: USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance, click this message.

And when i click on that, it just takes me to the Support window, and tells me to do the same thing in Device Manager.

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:15 PM

Have you connected the front USB correctly to the motherboard? Useually it can be pretty complicated.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:28 PM

Yeah, when you plug a USB memory stick or something in there does it say something along the lines of "New hardware/device found" or does it not recognize it at all. Also, look at the instruction manual of your motherboard ( If you bought it yourself, it should've came with one ) and make sure it's plug into the right pin on the motherboard.

Edited by protozero, 19 June 2006 - 09:28 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users