Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help upgrading my HP a6613 pc gpu and cpu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JoJoMix

JoJoMix

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

Hello everyone :)

I have a branded hp pc bought like 4 or 5 years ago (HP a6613me) and it got these specification:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200
ATI Radeon HD3650
MS-7525 (Boston)
4GB ram
350 watt LiteOn power supply
windows 7 64bit home premium

The graphic card 3650 is too old and small and I have a zotac gtx 9800 new laying around got it from a friend of mine long time ago but didn't use it. I wanted to install it today and found it needs two 6 pin connector which i can manage to connect but I know for sure I need to change my power supply (maybe 500+ watt) because my original installed 350 watt is not enough for sure.

Second problem is upgrading the cpu as its core speed around 2.5 GHz and I can not overclock from bios because of the mobo type and also it is locked from HP. so wanted to install a used cpu found online for LGA 775 socket and found these to be good (E8400 or Q8300) both found online used for around $20 to $40. If i can't overclock much then would take a faster base clock cpu that would give me some extra performance but when i checked HP specification for this mobo i found this:

MS-7525 (Boston)
Manufacturer: MSI
Form factor: microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
Chipset:
Northbridge chipset: Intel G31 Express
Southbridge chipset: Intel ICH7
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR2
Front side bus speeds: 1333/1066/800 MHz
Processor socket: 775
Expansion Slots:
1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
2 PCI Express x1 slots
1 PCI slot

Processor upgrade information
Socket type: 775
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
Core 2 Duo E7xxx (Wolfdale-M)
Core 2 Duo E4x00 (Conroe)
Pentium E2xxx series (Conroe)
Celeron Dual Core E1xx0 series (Conroe)
Celeron 4xx series (Conroe)

I dont see E8xxx or Q8xxx series so does it mean i can't upgrade or this is old info? Hope you could help me out :)

Thank you very much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

Hello JoJoMix and welcome to the forum! Upgrading the graphics card will not really lead to any noticeable performance and not worth the cost of upgrading the power supply for little to no performance gain. In terms of the CPU upgrade, if the CPU you intend to upgrade is not on the list, then the CPU is not compatible with the motherboard. Your best upgrade for this system, would be a nice speedy SSD drive, which would bring back life into the system and make it snappy. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 JoJoMix

JoJoMix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hello JoJoMix and welcome to the forum! Upgrading the graphics card will not really lead to any noticeable performance and not worth the cost of upgrading the power supply for little to no performance gain. In terms of the CPU upgrade, if the CPU you intend to upgrade is not on the list, then the CPU is not compatible with the motherboard. Your best upgrade for this system, would be a nice speedy SSD drive, which would bring back life into the system and make it snappy. 

Hello killer,

Thank you for the informative reply. Regarding the gpu upgrade I found that the gtx 9800 is already overclocked (zotac amp edition) and online it did seems like 4 times better performance. I tried furmark test with the colorful loop on the 3650hd and it was around 2-3 fps as I did clean the gpu and reapplied thermal paste which was already dry after 5 years of use, just wanted to see max temp which was around 60-64 max. But that low fps showed me how weak is that card and so thought gtx 9800 would be better.

About cpu I guess i would not risk it because of compatibility issues as some users with same mobo mentioned bios update would allow the E8xxx series to work but mine is OEM locked by hp so not sure. Last this pc as mentioned would be used for youtube, watching hd videos and some video converting. Was wishing for multitasking with quad core Q8xxx series but it seems not possible.

Thank you very much :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users