Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected withAd choices malware Windows 7 - still present reformating

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bluemoontom

bluemoontom

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:49 PM

Hi, new poster that found this site whilst looking for a solution. I have seen from the forum that this is quite a common problem but that the solution has to be tailored to an individual computer.

The computer is my parents and they asked me to take a look when it became slow. Microsoft Security Essentials was flagging up numerous viruses  (Rovnix was one)but could not remove them and suggested use of windows defender -this did not get rid of the viruses and I had my doubts as to whether the microsoft security essentials was even genuine. So I gave up and decided to reformat and reinstall windows from a boot disk with their product key on the sticker on the back of their laptop.

I'm unsure where th bootdisk came from which may have caused the problems that are happening now. The viruses appear to be gone now - I have downloaded AVG (free version) and this finds no problems. However I have noticed that adverts by Ad choices are everywhere in both IE and Firefox Browsers plus the computer is slow when only browsing.

I have tried to locate malware using malwarebytes which finds nothing - I have checked the browsers for suspicious add ons/extensions and nothing can be found. I have looked throgh the registry for anything dodgy related to ad choices and have found nothing.

I need to stop these ads as I know my parents will click on them thinking their is an urgent issue to resolve and more viruses will be back (if they are even gone now.) removing these would presumably also speed up the computer - Although all they will ever use it for is browsing.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this especially if you can help.

Should have said

Windows 7 Home premium SP1

32 bit OS

Edited by bluemoontom, 09 December 2014 - 01:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:06 PM

Download and run Adwcleaner and see if it helps. Also, Adblock plus will block in-brower popups, banner ads etc.

#3 bluemoontom

bluemoontom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hi - Adwcleaner scan didn't find anything but I used the clean option and the results are below. Adblock sounds like an option once this has been removed to stop reinfection via following the dodgy links but I would like to solve the problem rather than hide the symptom if tha makes sense.

Result of Adwcleaner clean

# AdwCleaner v4.105 - Report created 09/12/2014 at 19:23:28
# Updated 08/12/2014 by Xplode
# Database : 2014-12-08.2 [Live]
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (32 bits)
# Username : The Richardsons - THERICHARDSONS
# Running from : C:\Users\The Richardsons\Downloads\AdwCleaner(1).exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.17420

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v34.0.5 (x86 en-GB)

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [780 octets] - [07/12/2014 20:42:25]
AdwCleaner[R1].txt - [901 octets] - [09/12/2014 19:17:04]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [840 octets] - [07/12/2014 20:44:19]
AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [823 octets] - [09/12/2014 19:23:28]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [882 octets] ##########

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:42 PM

See info at AdSense Help

You can block the ad/ tracking third party cookies. Once blocked from installing you will need to delete the existing ones.

Disable third-party cookies in IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome | How To - CNET

Use CCleaner to remove ALL cookies. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars...especially Google's.

No need to use the Registry Cleaner Tool....risky.  CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

You have Firefox. Installing the NoScript and Adblock Plus addons will block ads and prevent driveby installs of malware.

Adblock Plus is a no-brainer. NoScript requires a bit of time to learn how to use it properly.....but is absolutely worth the time spent.

NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox

Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox

Edited by buddy215, 09 December 2014 - 02:43 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 bluemoontom

bluemoontom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

Hi buddy215 - That has made a real differnce to firefox - I should have listened to Digital_Veil about Adblock - Thanks for your help. Do you have any suggestions for a similar ad-on to noscript for IE? The problem has been on my parents computer and that is the browser they use through choice as its what they have been used to. Also in firefox I get a message about Javascript being disabled - I understand this is just noscript doing its job - As per the instruction video - just selecting the option to temporarily allow scripts on that page if it wasn't functioning without javascript is the way around that?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:50 PM

A brief search tells me there is no add-on for IE such as NoScript. Get them to switch to Firefox...:)

Yes, that is NoScript doing its job. Easy to just mouse over the NoScript Icon and unblock for a website temporarily or 

permanently. Right now, mine is blocking scripts for Google user content and Facebook on this page/ topic.

Adblock Plus does allow some ads. You can change that in its preferences if the ads it allows become annoying.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 bluemoontom

bluemoontom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

Ok thanks - yes I searched and found some suggestions on this site below but none of them sound as easy as noscript. http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/using-ie-feature-to-get-noscript-like-functionality.349649/ Getting them to switch won't work - Forcing them to use firefox by removing IE should do it though! Thanks again for your help.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

You don't want to use those suggestions. A real pain and frustrating. I tried that once back when you needed to use IE to get Windows Updates

...and I was convinced not to do that.

You're welcome...happy surfin' !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users