Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netbios Name Or Netbios Datagram

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 swaktexas

swaktexas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:35 PM

After perusing the forums here for over an hour, I'm still confused (doesn't usually happen here as I can usuallyfind direction and answers by just reading other's posts.) SO, seeking ya'lls help and wisdom here I go. We have a home network here at the house with my Pc (PC1), work laptop (PC2), Son's PC (PC3) and Husband's PC (PC4). I happened to look at my McAfee Personal Firewall and noticed that my husband's PC has been attempting to make connection with my PC about every 3 -10 mins since Thursday night (today is Sunday). The McAfee Personal Firewall Plus log lists my husbands IP address (this is confirmed as correct), the host name (which is what I have named his computer on the network), S port and D port fluctuate between 137 and 138, and the Event Information is usually NETBIOS Name (when it says port 137) or NETBIOS Datagram (when it says port 138). What worries me is that this has never been seen before (I check my blocked events about once a week just to see what has been attempted in the back doors of my computer). I have run McAffee Virus scan on his computer as well as TrendMicro HouseCall and BitDefender. A couple of little Trojans were found and deleted, but his computer is STILL trying to connect to me. For the safeside, I have Blocked his IP address until I know if this is "normal" activity ? Thank you for any help or light someone can shed!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 11:39 PM

See if this helps explain it:
NetBIOS: Friend or Foe?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:37 AM

Do you have a printer connected t your computer? Is it configured to share? Run a firewall program on his computer. This will tell you what is trying to broadcast from his computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 swaktexas

swaktexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:49 PM

Yes, I do have a printer connected to HIS computer. It is the family network printer. I took a chance and unblocked his IP address as I needed to print some things and could not do it until I do so. When I did, I had inbound events from his computer ranging with S.Ports of 1100 - 4977 and all D.Ports were 139. Like I've said, if this is considered "normal" I won't worry. It's just that this type of traffic was not seen 2 weeks ago, or even 1 week ago. It has just started recently....

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:23 PM

I would believe he has an infection on his computer. Have you tried the free online scan? Here are a few. Remember, each company approaches malware in a different way. So where one may not catch the malware other may. Try several.

Antispyware
Microsoft Defender (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
aČ Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool