Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing windows 7 on Toshiba laptop w/ New hd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GarrettH

GarrettH

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite I think? The hd took a poo a while back so I got a new one and ordered a new windows 7 installation disk. When I put the disc in the drive doesn't run, and the main screen remains black with a blinking cursor. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it to run? I was wondering if I could buy an external cd drive and plug it in and if that would be able to run the disc incase my disc drive took a poo too?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:27 AM

Hi,

You need to enter BIOS and set first boot device the CD/DVD rom or use one time boot menu which is easier (you don't need to change boot order back to HDD after first installation restart). You can use external USB DVD like it is normal internal device.

Usually boot menu is on F12 button.

Hope I helped you.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

You can also create an iso image from the Windows 7 installation DVD using Imgburn and then use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. With the USB flash drive attached, tap F12 when powering on as spilco posted and you should see your Flash Drive in the boot menu.

#4 GarrettH

GarrettH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:47 AM

Alright I'll give this a try when I get home from work. Thank you for the replys. I'll post up and tell you if it worked! :)

#5 GarrettH

GarrettH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

Took the hard drive back out and put it back in and booted right up with the installation disc. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users