Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Coloured squares and PC turning off

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sminky

Sminky

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:50 AM

Hello

I'm having a problem with coloured squares an my monitors and my PC turning off. I had a similar problem a month ago I changed my Gcard drivers (to older version) gave it a bit of a clean and it was fine.

Now that doesn't seem to solve it. Worryingly those artifacts even appear when booting up in the form of white squares. If I remove the Graphics card and just use the GPU on my cpu everything seems stable.

Could it be a bad Graphics card, PSU going bad, both, or something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i5 2500

460 gtx (on 2013 drivers as seem the most stable)

4gb ram

500w FSP group psu

ASUS P8H61-M

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:34 AM

Is it powering off completely or is the screen just going black/losing signal?

If it is powering off completely, I would think psu first. If it is losing video signal but still on (fans running etc) It could be the psu or the video card. The problem with switching to onboard and having that work perfectly fine is that you are also likely lowering the overall needed wattage to run the machine which won't rule out the psu. If you have a spare video card that uses about the same wattage, I would test with that. Or if you have a spare psu, you could swap that in with the video card and see if the artifacts still occur.

Edited by zingo156, 09 December 2014 - 08:38 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Sminky

Sminky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

Is it powering off completely or is the screen just going black/losing signal?

If it is powering off completely, I would think psu first. If it is losing video signal but still on (fans running etc) It could be the psu or the video card. The problem with switching to onboard and having that work perfectly fine is that you are also likely lowering the overall needed wattage to run the machine which won't rule out the psu. If you have a spare video card that uses about the same wattage, I would test with that. Or if you have a spare psu, you could swap that in with the video card and see if the artifacts still occur.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is causing the PC to shut of and reset. So does this suggest the PSU has gone bad and also killed the Gcard. The distortion comes within a minute of being on. It will crash (turn fully off) 5-10 mins latter. Unfortuantly I have no way to test either in other machines/ replace parts to hand.

Edited by Sminky, 09 December 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:08 AM

It is tough to say for certain it, if it were me, I would test with a different psu first since they typically fail more often than video cards from what I have seen.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Sminky

Sminky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:21 AM

It is tough to say for certain it, if it were me, I would test with a different psu first since they typically fail more often than video cards from what I have seen.

I had planed to get a new Graphics card anyway (760 gtx), which my current PSU would be ok with if not faulty. I had success once with a 8800 gt with 'baking' it. Would that possible work here? Ideally I wanted to keep costs down but your saying the PSU is most likely to blame. What is strange is this problem going away for a month. 

#6 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:25 AM

Colored squares usually means it is video memory fault. You can try baking the GPU it helped me also in many cases like yours but buying new GPU would be better and safer choice.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:28 AM

If by baking you mean "reflow" yes this does work in some situations, I wouldn't try it until you knew it was the card for certain. Whether or not it will work for any decent amount of time is another question. If you already planned to upgrade, now would be a good time. The 760 is a pretty good card. Splico is correct, typically ram or vram is responsible for artifacts.

#8 Sminky

Sminky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:01 AM

Is there a risk of damaging a new Gcard though if the PSU may be faulty?

Edited by Sminky, 09 December 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

It would be very rare but it is possible.

#10 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:46 PM

Reflow poor man's way, take everything you can off the video card and bake it in oven for 10 minutes max. on around 180-200c. Easiest is to make little balls of aluminium foil and place it under 4 corners of GPU to hold it. It could destroy it forever but sometimes that trick works. You can try do same with heat gun but it is much easier to do damage.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#11 Sminky

Sminky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:31 PM

Thanks again for all the help. I bit the bullet and brought a Msi 760 gtx my only concern though that if it is my psu that may be faulty will it damage the card before I can do anything about it? Zingo mentioned it would  be unlikely, but would be much happier for more then one opinion (no offence intended). Also you mentioned it may be my system RAM that may be at fault. If there is no artifacting when running just of the CPU is it safe to assume it's ok?

This is my current PSU if it's working it fine should be more then enough (hopefully)

http://www.outletpc.com/lb4953.html

Edited by Sminky, 09 December 2014 - 06:35 PM.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:10 AM

System ram would only affect the onboard gpu, and not in all cases. Also you would likely be getting BSOD related to ram, that and possibly random failures to post. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users