Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is restoring the same as wiping?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tkelly1

tkelly1

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:29 AM

My computer has been running slow. I've had it for about three years and haven't really done any maintenance in a year. It's slow but manageable, but I want it to run like new for when I start my online classes in January. The speed is not because of a program, virus, or anything(I'm 90% sure). So, I was looking to wipe my hard drive but found a page instructing how to restore to factory settings. Is that the same as wiping the hard drive when it comes to fixing slowness? I understand when you wipe the hard drive, everything is lost and you must reinstall windows. But the article makes me think it will remove everything except what was there when you bought it. This is the article. 

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN291879/EN

My next question is which is best to do to fix a slow computer, restore or wipe? Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:46 AM

Use the restore, it will install all of your drivers ready to go.

Then go through and uninstall all of the Dell junk-ware that does the same as Windows functions. (wireless managers, blue-tooth managers, pc care, backup... etc)

edit: the factory restore is a system wipe, but it then installs Windows AND all of the essential drivers in one move, all from a restore partition.... It is a fresh start. I don't know if I was clear enough about that. :)

Edited by TsVk!, 09 December 2014 - 02:52 AM.

#3 tkelly1

tkelly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

Use the restore, it will install all of your drivers ready to go.

Then go through and uninstall all of the Dell junk-ware that does the same as Windows functions. (wireless managers, blue-tooth managers, pc care, backup... etc)

edit: the factory restore is a system wipe, but it then installs Windows AND all of the essential drivers in one move, all from a restore partition.... It is a fresh start. I don't know if I was clear enough about that. :)

Thank you! 

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:59 PM

No worries :thumbup2:

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:47 PM

This is included with your link (QUOTE) - Warning:

Restoring your computer to the factory settings will remove all files and programs except those it came with. You will lose all personal files, including photos, emails and programs, if you do not back up your files and data (END QUOTE)

I understand when you wipe the hard drive, everything is lost and you must reinstall windows. But the article makes me think it will remove everything except what was there when you bought it.

The link removes All things except a New Dell Windows 7 System, but remember you are installing it into an Old Computer and it will not Repair everything.

So as long as you remember it is a Wipe / Reinstall .................

Unless you have all of your other private data saved it will go, this is NOT a repair install, but a Total Wipe and Restore of the files to 99.9% of your original Dell settings.

If you only want a Repair Install (due to corrupted files) this is over doing things a bit.

Just so you do understand ............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users