Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accessing My VNC Server Outside Home

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:32 AM

I have raspberry pi running a tightvnc server. I can locally connect to it at 192.168.1.3:1

You must append at :1 at the end to signify the first instance thats running i assume? I know its not a port like in most applications. Because if you accidentally start another instance of the vnc server, you use a :2 to access the second instance.

So, you can type that in, tightvnc asks for a password and you're in.

Outside of the network I type in my dynamic dns address, but have no idea how to append that :1 without it thinking its a port. I've tried my dynamic address and :1 , I've tried with port 5800, I've even used my actual external ip.

All ports are forwarded, I know the dynamic dns address is active due to a mumble server I always have running and I can ssh into the machine with putty.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:18 AM

Any thing after the colon is seen as port number.  No getting around that.  You should have ports 5800 and 5900 forwarded to the server which has a static lan ip address.

Concerning multiple accesses to the same vnc server I can't comment on.  My experience is you can only have one session. VNC is not like Remote Desktop where each logon is its own independent session. VNC is a single point of remote control.

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:21 PM

Despite the ports being forwarded, it will say that the computer actively refused the connection. Maybe its just a linux thing, I know for a fact you cannot just type in the machines ip while in the local network without the :1 . I'll see if I can shoot the tightvnc people an email. Everything is default, nothing ever touched or configured. I just followed this tutorial  and to start the vnc server, you open a terminal and type tightvncserver. Nothing more

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

And..... you need a tech subscription to get help from them....that stinks.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:55 PM

dynamic dns name:5901 should work. you might need to forward it. test it by turning off the wireless on your phone and go through the cell network.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:14 PM

Unfortunately 5901 didn't work either :\ 

Its not really a big issue, I can access it through putty enough to make everything work. I just prefer a gui.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 12 December 2014 - 02:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users