Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a bootable drive

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Mowpar

Mowpar

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:40 PM

I am having problems trying to make a bootable drive, to install windows 7 on to my computer that has been wiped clean by Dirick's nuke program. The computer is an Inspiron 660.

The computer I am using to produce the drives is an older XP. also a Dell. I got real close one time. I had the window show up saying that a bootable drive was being created. I thought success after a long time of struggling through reading all the links I have been sent to and trying to understand them.

As the bar chart was showing the progress of the download in percentages it froze at 20%.

I went back to the beginning and started again, this time however I could not get the tool to recognize my usb drive, I fought to get it recognized the first time. This time it refused to be recognized. When I clicked on the USB option it would show a drive a when my usb was dive f or e. When I tried to put a disk in and chose did, it would say that there is no disk in the machine. I am at a loss. I did read where sandisk was no good to create bootable drives, this is all I have. I tried to use Rufus but when I downloaded it and brought it up on the screen, there were no prompt saying do this or that, just blank spaces that I did not know what to put in them, as you can tell I am not that good with computers. I do better at following steps than reading links. But lately even the steps don,t seem to want to work.

If you can help me get an OS on my PC I would appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:13 PM

From your post, I think you have an iso file of Windows 7 and you are trying to create a bootable DVD or USB. For burning the iso file to a bootable DVD on XP, you will need a DVD optical drive and the program called imgburn. Burn the iso image using this guide. When you install Imgburn to the XP computer, opt out of any optional software it asks you to download. Burn the iso file at a speed no faster than 8X if possible.

For a bootable USB flash drive use Rufus. It has to see your Flash drive in the first box or everything will be blank. It also has to run in an admin account on XP. Select MBR scheme in the second box. Leave everything as it shows in the Rufus window. In the "Create a bootable disk using" sectom, select iso image instead of FreeDos in the dropdown box. Click the icon next to it and browse to the iso file of Windows 7.

If you have a WIndows 7 DVD, it should already be bootable.

#3 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:47 PM

Is there a link you can direct me to, to use the Rufus program. What you explained back to me is what I am trying to do. I went to a site and found my edition of windows that was installed on my machine. I have the 25 number key. Bought this new. If I put this ISO number onto my desktop, from there am I to place it into one of the blanks that shoe up on the Rufus window.

Would burning a DVDs be easier, if so can you provide link to describe the steps to take.

When I started this I had no idea it would be so hard. It has become an obsession for me.

Edited by Mowpar, 08 December 2014 - 09:52 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:03 PM

No, you do not put the key in Rufus, you would put it in during the Windows 7 install. Here is a guide on doing a clean Windows 7 install.

Here is the Rufus link. For some reason I am not able to get to the Rufus page currently. You can also download it here.

https://rufus.akeo.ie

You can download the iso of Windows 7 that your key is for here.

#5 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

The link to the windows 7 forum has ISO files. The heading says don't use these, outdated I guess. Outdated or not they are better than the nothing I have at present, do you agree or is there a current place for file you can link me to.
The paragraph above seems kind of trivial to the real problem I am having, but I thought I would ask you what you thought about, in any case. My main problem is after bringing Rufus to the screen, and making sure all the boxes where correct, I am unable to attach the windows 7 HP ISO. media,

I was told before I had to download the OS to the thumb drive. I spent all last night, waiting for this to download to my thumb drive. Now I have come to the conclusion that I did not need do do this, still not sure either way.

I went to the site in your link, where the ISO files of windows media were, selected the application that was the same as the one that was on my computer. I did this after clicking the the symbol on the Rufus window, the one that looks like a picture of a device with a disk sitting on top of it.

I am not sure of how to go to the site and with the ISO files and to, do as they say SELECT!!!. To select I thought was just to left click on the ISO file. But then I am not sure, maybe you need to right click and press copy. These little things everyone knows , I do not, not for sure. So I think that when things don't go as they should, that I am making stupid little mistakes that I assume are the correct ones.
I have on my computer the download of a windows 7 hp that I loaded to the flash drive, it is in my download list page. But do not know how to get Rufus to recognize it as my choice.

When I click on the icon, device with disc on top, then go to the ISO down load area, I left click on the ISO windows7 file. I then go back to Rufus press start. Often times I get this message, probably caused by my not understand what I am doing,
Please click on the disc button to select a bootable image, or uncheck the create a bootable disk using checkbox.

When it sometimes does not give me this message it will say, the proper next thing, it should say, all files on drive will be erased do you want to continue? At this point I am thinking I have finally broken the Divinci Code crack open a keg. But no,it simply runs the progress bar across the pagr and the comes back as failed.

I also get another message times, this one: windows can perform the same action each time you insert a disk, in other words it can do the wrong thing every time and never the right thing, man!

Another message I get, stymies me, considering I am the only one using this computer. Error:THE DEVICE IS IN USE BY ANOTHER PROCESS. PLEASE CLOSE OTHER PROCESS THAT MAY BE ACCESSING THE DEVICE, if this thing would spend more time telling me what to do and not telling me what i am doing wrong, you would then have a great computer.

This where I am at in all this. Please send it the troops!!!

Edited by Mowpar, 09 December 2014 - 01:47 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

Sorry, you need this link for the latest iso's. But, may I ask where you got the HP iso file. If this is an HP computer, the I would burn the HP iso file with Imgburn set to burn to the slowest speed of 4X or 8X. Then boot the disk.

If the HP iso does not work then download the version you have at the above link, probably Home Premium and for an older computer that ran XP you would select the 32bit version. Just click on the blue link and it should download.

You do not do anything with Rufus until you have downloaded the iso file. First try burning the HP iso file with Imgburn as I linked to in my post #2. If that does not work, post back and I will step you through Rufus.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#7 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:09 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron, that I am wanting to load with the bootable disk for windows 7. I am using my old Dell XP, to try to make the bootable drive. I think the mix up was when I mentioned windows 7 HP, HP in this case meaning Home Premium. Windows 7 Home Premium

I did have the ISO I explained to you how try to attain it it's like you did not read anything I wrote, I give up you people.

Edited by Mowpar, 09 December 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:12 PM

So its an iso file you are trying to create a bootable disk for? The optical drive on the old XP computer is DVD, correct?

I understand, it's that you said you had the HP iso that I wanted to clarify. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

In the link I posted in #6, click on the Home Premium Link for 32 bit. I just left clicked it and it started the download.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#9 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:15 PM

Just forget it I'm through.

#10 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:22 PM

The place you sent me too Windows 7 forum have been known not to work well. Send people in the future to HeiDoc

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:22 PM

In post#6 you should simply be able to left click the link. I just did it and it worked fine.

Sorry, I was not able to help with the problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 December 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#12 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

There is an old saying, and it is as true as true can be.

Those who can do.
And those who can't teach

And you also can't help those who cannot help themselves, so this is not your fault this is mine, and it is also my problem, thanks for trying.

Edited by Mowpar, 09 December 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#13 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:36 PM

I can left click on it but happens after that. When I left click I go back and run Rufus then nothing except all the error messages I get that I have already posted. This whole procedure sounds so simple so I cannot figure out why it does not work. Is it this XP. Computer that's at fault?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:12 PM

I don't think is the XP computer as I have done it on XP unless something is wrong with the USB ports. Rufus needs an admin accont to run. Double click Rufus with a USB flash drive attached. The flash drive should be at least 4GB.

When Rufus opens you should see your flash drive in the first dropdown box. Is your flash drive listed in the first box? If not, you may have to use the dropdown box to select it.
In the second box select MBR partition scheme.
Everything else should be left as default.
In the section "Create a bootable disk" select iso image in the dropdown box instead of freedos.
Click the drive icon next to it and browse to the Home Premium iso file you downloaded to your desktop or download folder.
Press Start.

#15 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

Everything here I understand and have done. With no success. When have rufus engaged it sees my usb, and I have configured everything correctly.

The place in this scenario that is skeptical is, browse to the home premium ISO file downloaded to your desktop or download folder.
You don't say what to do when I browse and find the ISO, do I just left click it? And then go back and start rufus. I know when you have the ISO seen by rufus, that things chane on the set up, but mine has never changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users