Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help needed with restoring laptop to factory settings

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 antelope2015

antelope2015

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hi! :bananas:

So I have this ASUS X-53U laptop that is showing some signs of wear and tear. I bought it as an ex-display model in 2011 and now the cracks are starting to show.

E.g. my USB ports are failing to work (one of them) and the other 2 will not recognise either data sticks nor my Iomega back up drive anymore.

I contacted ASUS and they recommended to take everything back to factory settings.

I can't really do that just yet as I cannot back up my data, but I have ordered an external hard drive (a WD which a friend had used on my laptop to back up files - and it worked!). So fingers crossed this new drive when it arrives will work, too!

Anyway - I have questions about taking things back to factory settings:

1. Apart from my personal files (docs, photos, music etc) what else do I need to back up?

2. I never got round to doing a Windows 7 recovery disc. I have a valid licence number - where and how can I download a full version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit so I can re-install it all? I would need to be able to burn it to DVD so I have some kind of boot-disc??

Lord help me! :bounce:

Thanking all of you loads in advance!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

Have you looked into using the factory recovery partition?  There are quite few links on Google.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 antelope2015

antelope2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:12 PM

Thanks, Phil!! I don't think there is a factory recovery partition!  How can I find out if there is?

Sorry - feeling a total dork!

#4 haycg

haycg

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:17 PM

Most Factory Reset DVD are made in All Programs. Usually takes 3 and maybe 1 more for drivers

and applications, whatever they think you need. Have a few extra on hand in case some fail.

While your at it go to Start -- control panel -- backup and restore icon -- Look to the left top corner -- 

create a system repair disc. It says to use s DVD but a CD is OK. Easy to make and use to repair

your computer. When you press your power button a startup screen comes up for about 2 seconds.

My ESC key allows me to boot to CDDVD with the Repair Disc in the tray and pressing the Enter key.

Wait for it to load.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:19 PM

According to the specs it has the partition, do a search on it, I had tons on Google.

Phil

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:29 PM

Right click on Computer then click Manage when the pane opens click on Disk Management you should see the disk is shown in two blocks.  Let me know what it does show.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:33 PM

First we need to find out if you have a recovery partition.

From Start Menu go to Control Panel.

Administrative Tools/Computer Management.

Look on the left side of the page and click Disk Management.

What does it say there?

(OldPhil posted a different method to get to Disk Management while I was composing)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 December 2014 - 09:35 PM.

#8 antelope2015

antelope2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

OK - It appears to have 3 parts to it:

[no drive name] - 25.00 GB Healthy (Primary Partition)

OS (C:) - 300.41 GB NFTS Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Data (D:) - 373.22 GB NFTS Healthy (Logical Drive)

Thank you!

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,070 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:41 AM

That healthy 25 gig partition is "IT"!!!!  Google " ASUS X-53U Recovery" there seems to be a couple of methods.  That will bring it back to what it was when you bought it.

Edited by OldPhil, 09 December 2014 - 11:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users