Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MX-14 install notes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

MX-14 install notes
cd won't boot
I have a 2001 Sony VAIO that I want to run XBMC on. I am now trying to install a new OS on it (mX14). If, as you are trying to boot it it hangs after:
'Waiting for /dev to be fully populated...' I suggest trying "F4 Options" <might be F5> --> "no acpi" in the bootloader. This will disable acpi and should allow you to get past where you are stuck. There is a thread over in the antiX forums that gives (or points to) a slightly more complicated approach that might allow you to boot and have some acpi features. I don't remember the recipe off the top of my head.

To do this: At the screen after Welcome to Grub' flashes on the screen, press 'e' to (edit) and then use the arrows keys to navigate to boot options (the line that begins 'linux') and go to the end of that line (make sure you leave a space after ro) and type acpi=off. Now press F10. if your screen is not working correctly you may need to enter either vga=791 or vga=792.

If that boots ok then you can use grub-customizer to make it permanent
To get to grub-customizer go to the tepee looking icon in the lower left corner then go to the system tab and find what you're looking for. in Grub-customizer click the general settings tab and enter the sttings in kernel parameters.

if your video is jerky or you have any other problems with your video find the search bar and type in 'nvidia_install' and run that.  (even if you do not have an nvidia card)

If x will not load after an update boot to run level 3 (put '3' in boot options), login as root, and run 'nvidia_install' again.

Edited by bmike1, 08 December 2014 - 07:33 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users