Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange virus/trojan on laptop...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kellinka

Kellinka

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

I believe I've been an infected with some sort of virus or trojan...

I have a Dell laptop, and when opening it up today (from hibernation) it was unable to find my network under 'connect to a network'. Thinking it was just some internet bug, I decided to log off and log on again. However...as I logged on, the whole computer had changed. My wallpaper was gone, desktop items had gone missing, the whole look of the computer looked as if I had just bought it.

Strangely enough, certain programs were still on my desktop and they still had the same custom item I had given them. Even though no programs appeared in the start bar, once I clicked on 'all programs' all programs I had installed were present. Whenever I opened a program, the program would act as if I was opening it for the first time (introductory screens, logins, etc.) The same goes for internet browsers (all customization gone, all bookmarks gone). When I clicked on my documents or pictures, everything is gone. However, the files themselves do no seem to be gone cause I can reach them in another way (going through other directories) but the links themselves just don't seem to go there.

I checked the folder files, and whenever I restart the laptop it seems to revert back to 'hide all files and folders'. After some internet searches, I got to the conclusion (but I'm not sure) that I've been infected with some sort of virus that effects all user-specific related files. So, all the programs are still visible because I probably installed them for all users. But everything that's related to my specific user (like docs, pics, customization) is all 'gone' (or hidden in a sense).

I've restored to a previous point and scanned it with multiple programs (AVG, CC Cleaner, MalwareBytes Anti-malware). All turn up with something, but so far even after all the scanning the problems are still here...I really don't know what to do at this point. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

I'm not sure what this is, I would suggest posting this in the virus/spyware malware removal forum as then some experts can help you with tools that aren't allowed in this forum.

they call me te java mayster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users