Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using combofix with windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 avi_sh0rr

avi_sh0rr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:18 PM

I tried downloading and using Combofix with an 8.1 windows. I get an erro message from combo telling me it runs on 8 and not starting with 8.1
What am I missing.

Since i am not here often could rsponse also be sent to my email.
Thanks  all.

Arthur

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 December 2014 - 02:45 PM.
deleted email address to protect you from spambots.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

G'day avi_sh0rr, and Welcome to BC

Simple answer......do NOT use combofix without supervision/input from an Expert......there is a very strong chance you will be back here with a bricked pc if you do.

Describe the problem/s you are having with your pc and allow the good people here to sort it out for you.

I note that you have "followed" this topic....a reply will automatically be sent your email address.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

ComboFix is not supported at this time on 8.1.

The error message does state it works on Windows 8, but in truth it does not work on 8.1

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:56 PM

For the record...system requirements for ComboFix are provided in the Authorized How to guide, on the authorized download page, and in the ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here topic.

At this time ComboFix can only run on the following Windows versions:
Windows XP (32-bit only)
Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows 8 (32-bit/64-bit)

Windows 8.1 and Windows 2000 are NOT supported by ComboFix.

If you attempt to use ComboFix on Windows 8.1, it should provide a message alert: ComboFix is not meant to run in 'Compatibility Mode' and exit. This message is intentional by design when attempting to run ComboFix on that operating system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 avi_sh0rr

avi_sh0rr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

Thanks all for the confirmation that i wasn't missing anything. I am looking for a "NUCLEAR" virus cleaner for Win 8.1 . Combofix did great on my WIn 7 Pro.

Happy for all suggestions.

I have a pretty weird situation on a 500gb disc in a Win 7 Pro.

Long story short went to check it (for my wife) and found that she only had about 30 GB  unused. 

I went through all the things I could think about but could not account for about 320 GB that was being reported are "used"

Specifically,

• Computer virus removed by my professional support company. They used Combofix that is why I was asking about 8.1
  • I went through the Add/Remove cycle and eliminated all that could be. Results were modest, and usage still in the red zone
  • Went to unhide hidden files that too did not produce results
  • Defragged disc no impact
  • Checked to see if a  new or hidden partition; no results
  • Had my highly experienced techie friend take a crack at it but still no results

He and I explored all avenues we could think of but never found the space that were being reported as used.

Then about 4 weeks ago when I checked, computer accurately reported only 50 GB used the rest available. AS if the disc recovered the unused space and solved its opwn problems

Then upon returning from being away 2 weeks computer again reporting almost 250 GB as used that are not.

For the record, wife using Microsoft Office 2007,Chrome/Gmail,. Timeslips, Peachtree but no autobackups scheduled for these or anything else.

Only conclusion I can come to is that hard drive beginning to fail.

Any other ideas???

Thanks 

Avi

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

If you need individual assistance with a malware infection we a certainly willing to help. Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create two logs. (Note: Windows 8.1 Users will not be able run DDS and create a log)
There are other advanced tools which can be uses in cases where ComboFix will not run properly...the MRT will provide detailed instructions for such tools.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs or you're using Windows 8.1, then still start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

avi_sh0rr,  :welcome: to BC Forums! Glad to have you abroad. 

For your protection, I highly suggest you edit your first post, removing your email address. It's not good to post this type of information on any type of forum. 

I hope that you found what you were looking for, and feel free to visit us at anytime. :)

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:48 PM

I have deleted your email address from your first post.

Since you are following this topic, you should receive an email notification that a reply has been posted if you have notifications set up for email delivery.

All help is given in the open forum to make sure you get the best possible advice and help.

When done behind the scenes there things could go wrong and BC will not be held responsible should it cause harm to your computer.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

Hi Arthur,

One suggestion download TreeSize Free to scan the hard disk and see what folders are using most disk space.

If you find big folders that you don't recognize only delete them after confirming if they can be deleted, in case of doubt please ask here.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#10 hackules

hackules

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

I'm just curious what the technical reason is that ComboFix works on 8, but not on 8.1, is there that much of a technical difference? Is an 8.1 compatible version in the works? I'm MCSA, CCA, Net+ and A+ certified and I've forgot more about WinPE than most people will ever know, but I'll be honest, I just know ComboFix is effective, I haven't taken the time to pay complete attention to what's going on.

Edited by hackules, 10 December 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:59 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

All discussions about Combofix...how it works, the routines it performs, what it can or cannot do, what the log results mean, future plans, development, etc, are only available in private discussion areas not intended for the general public to read. Why? Safeguarding ComboFix from malware writers is necessary and important so that we can continue to use it without attackers having knowledge how to defeat it. Everything we discuss can be read by the bad guys. Yes, they read these forum topics looking for clues (knowledge) on how to circumvent our tools and removal techniques. We don't want to provide any information they can use against us so we deliberately do not provide specific information on the specific inner workings of our tools and how we use them in areas where attackers can see that information. As such, our discussion in public areas is limited and sometimes may appear vague or not fully address a specific question so it should not be taken personal.

sUBs has advised that he is holding off releasing any working version of his tools for Windows 8.1 which includes both ComboFix and DDS. Meaning he is fully aware of the compatibility issue but needs time for thorough testing to ensure they work safely on that OS. As such, no release date has been provided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users