Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you determine the driver needed for a wireless networking dongle?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hello All,

I have come upon a wireless networking dongle that I'd purchased several years ago but had lost for a long time.  If I have any of the original documentation or the driver CD that came with it I have no idea where it might be now.

It is generally possible to get a driver based upon he chipset used by the dongle.  The problem is I honestly have no idea how to determine what that is.  When I plug the dongle in on several different Windows 7 machines the presence of the device is recognized, but Windows Update does not find a suitable driver.  The device shows up in device manager as Usb2Wlan, but even when I go into the advanced properties when it's connected I'm not seeing anything that rings a bell in any of them.

I know the thing works just fine on my ancient Windows XP laptop that has drivers installed for the device and would like to locate same so that I can use this thing on those occasions when carrying a machine to get a wired connection is impractical. 

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:01 PM

With the wireless dongle attached, you should have a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager if the driver is not loaded. Right click the device and select Properties. Under the details tab, select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post.

611.png?w=604

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,270 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:22 PM

John,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply.   Here's what shows up as the first line in the Hardware Ids:

USB\VID_0416&PID_0035&REV_8765

In my case there are only two lines shown.  For the sake of completeness the second line is:  USB\VID_0416&PID_0035

The device is, of course, listed under "Other Devices" since the driver could not be found, not under "Network adapters."

Brian

P.S.  Are you posting the dialog box screenshots inline somehow, or do you have them hosted somewhere?  The only option I'm seeing for including pictures in a post (the little picture icon to he left of the link icon) requires you to specify a URL.

Edited by britechguy, 08 December 2014 - 06:24 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:45 PM

I look for an image online that I want and then Right click to get the URL of the image. I then use the image insert icon and provide the URL.  You can also attach an image using a hosting service and providing the URL but you cannot attach files to this forum for some reason.

The only reference to that Vendor and Device ID is here. Click the drive icon and then provide a junk email address. I hope it works for you.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,270 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:53 PM

Thanks, but it doesn't.  I've found a lot of sources for 32-bit drivers for the device, but they won't install on a Win7 64-bit machine, which is a bit of a surprise.

I really do appreciate the assistance.

Brian

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

Sorry, my mistake. The device is old enough where I do not believe there is a driver for Windows 7 64bit, only 32bit. I would recommend you get one of these  for a laptop or one of these if a desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users