Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Install Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:06 PM

this is an embarrassing question given my experience but here goes,

system is windows xp, running perfectly fine and virus free (yup checked)

i am trying to install a printer, i have deleted all previous printers and drivers from the system, when i check printers in control panel nothing is listed,

when i plug the printer into the computer and turn it on i get the popup that says "new hardware found".....it even displays the correct make and model of the printer and says its installing.....it then says the install was successful and the device is ready to use,

when i go into the control panel - printers, still nothing listed there,

when i try to print a document it says "no printers are installed",

next thing i did was inserted the install cd that came with the printer and ran that software, i went through all the steps and it says the installation was successful,

but when i go to control panel, same thing, still no printers listed, when i try to print still error messege "no printers are installed"

i have checked the print spooler service, it is set to automatic and its running,

i am absolutely baffled by this :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

Install it in safe mode, from the Install CD.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:17 PM

Install it in safe mode, from the Install CD.

thanks, i tried as you suggested,

it comes up and says the print spooler is not running,

when i go into services to try to start the spooler it says it can not be started in safe mode?

when i boot in normal windows mode the spooler is running

Edited by mikey11, 08 December 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:36 PM

One thing to try is to delete the printer drivers that may not be totatlly uninstalled when you delete the printer in Control Panel. Delete your printer in Control Panel.

Open Printer and Faxes. In the menu bar select File > Server Properties. Under the details tab remove any printer driver that is has the manufacturer of your printer listed or any printer no longer used. Then reinstall your printer driver again. What is the make and model of the printer. There may be a later driver on their website.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 December 2014 - 06:36 PM.

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:28 AM

One thing to try is to delete the printer drivers that may not be totatlly uninstalled when you delete the printer in Control Panel. Delete your printer in Control Panel.

Open Printer and Faxes. In the menu bar select File > Server Properties. Under the details tab remove any printer driver that is has the manufacturer of your printer listed or any printer no longer used. Then reinstall your printer driver again. What is the make and model of the printer. There may be a later driver on their website.

thanks i did that still a no go,

when i go to the control panel > printers the printer is now listed there as being "ready"

it is also listed in device manager as "this device is working properly", i tried to update the driver and it says the proper driver is installed,

now......when i try to print a document it gets to the point where it would normally display the print progress, that window pops up like it normally should but an error is displayed, i get the yellow triangle and it says "printer not responding"

if i go to the printer properties and click on the ports tab it is installed on LTP1, which i dont think it should be as its connected with a usb cable,

in the ports list all i see are LTP ports and COM ports, there is no USB option :smash:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,431 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:59 AM

The printer software was supposed to do create the virtual USB port. I am not sure how to create one on XP. Did you have the printer attached while downloading and installing the software driver? Usually the software is installed first then the printer is attached while it is turned on. Try attaching the printer to a different USB port while the printer and computer is on.

There is also the possiblity the problem is on the printer end. Have you tried this printer on another computer?

What is the make and model of the printer?

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:02 AM

The printer software was supposed to do create the virtual USB port. I am not sure how to create one on XP. Did you have the printer attached while downloading and installing the software driver? Usually the software is installed first then the printer is attached while it is turned on. Try attaching the printer to a different USB port while the printer and computer is on.

There is also the possiblity the problem is on the printer end. Have you tried this printer on another computer?

What is the make and model of the printer?

thanks, the printer does work on another computer,

when i installed the software the printer was on and attached the whole time,

maybe i should delete everything and re-install the software with the printer disconnected?

Cannon MX470

Edited by mikey11, 09 December 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,431 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:32 AM

I would unattach the USB, reboot the computer and then turn on the printer. Then attach the printer to a different USB port if you can. If that does not work then delete the driver from control panel and also through server properties. Then download USBdeview. Run it in an admin account and delete anything related to canon.

Install the software and driver and then attach the printer to USB with it on. Here is the latest driver I found for the MX470. Your XP is SP3, correct?

From what I can remember on the canon I have, the driver was installed first and then the printer was turned on first then attached to the USB port. On the printer driver software I had it gave the instructions on screen. Similar to this video.

Here is a link to your printer manual if you do not have one.

If the above does not work it may be corrupt XP usb files, specifically USBPRINT.sys and USBMON.DLL.

#9 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:31 PM

thanks for the help,

i started by uninstalling the printer and any related drivers etc,

i reinstalled the software from the cd with the printer disconnected,

when prompted by the software to connect the printer i did so, i get the popup saying new hardware and it even displays the correct make and model number, after about 30 seconds i get a windows popup saying something to the effect "this hardware could not be installed", click finish to exit,

after that i went to plan b, reinstalled the software once again but this time i selected wireless setup,

i follow the instructions carefully, everything went well until the final step, it said "searching for printers on the network", then came up with an error saying no wireless or network printers found,

im at a complete loss here and dont know what to do, this is so frusterating, :smash:

i used your USB program as you suggested and deleted all cannon related usb links

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

Just a thought....do you have a webcam or similar, plugged into another usb port somewhere ?

or anything 'Logitech' ...?

Edited by Condobloke, 09 December 2014 - 02:08 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:15 PM

Just a thought....do you have a webcam or similar, plugged into another usb port somewhere ?

or anything 'Logitech' ...?

the only other usb devices are a wireless mouse, and wired usb keyboard, which are both working fine

Edited by mikey11, 09 December 2014 - 02:16 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,431 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

For these two files USBPRINT.sys and USBMON.DLL Right click, select properties. What are the versions and size listed for your files?

USBPRINT.sys    25.2 KB (25,856 bytes)    5.1.2600.5512        is located at Windows\system32\drivers

USBMON.DLL    16.5 KB (16,896 bytes)     5.1.2600.5512        is located at Windows\system32\

#13 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:57 PM

Hi

If you choose to try my suggestion, before proceeding... please disconnect your printer from the computer.

Visit: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mx_series/pixma_mx472#DriversAndSoftware.

Select your Operating System.

Download and Save to your Desktop: win-mx470-1_0-ucd.exe.

This is an online installation software to help you to perform initial setup of your printer on a PC (either USB connection or network connection) and to install various software.

Do Not Execute the Download Yet!

Open Control Panel.

Open Printers & Faxes.

Check that all instances of your printer are removed from the printer & faxes folder.

Open Add and Remove Programs.

Check that all printer related software has been removed.

Open System.

Click the Advanced Tab.

Find and Click Environmental Variables.

Look at the System variables portion of the window, Find and Open New.

In the New System Variable Window,

1. Type or Copy/Paste DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES in the Variable name field.

2. Type the Number 1 in the Variable value field.

Click Ok (the New System Variable window closes).

Click Ok (the System Properties window closes).

Click Apply and Ok (the System Properties window closes).

Close Control Panel and Log Off/On or Reboot the system.

Open Control Panel

Open the System Icon.

Find and Click Hardware, Find and Click Device Manager.

On the Device Manager window toolbar Find and Open View, Click Show hidden devices.

Expand the Device Headings checking for any printer related information. (Printer, Scanner USB Driver Info ETC. The non present device icons appear shaded.

One by one Right click each entry under the Heading and choose Uninstall. (If you are prompted to remove Software with the device removal check the box) Click Ok to execute.

Close Device Manager and Control Panel.

Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Accessories Click Command prompt.

Type the following commands in the window pressing Enter after each line.

net stop spooler

del %systemroot%\System32\spool\printers\* /Q /F /S

net start spooler

This will remove all printer information in the System32\spool/printers\folder.

Type Exit and press Enter to close the Window.

Restart the computer

Find the downloaded Printer Installation Program and Install Your Printer.

After a successful installation...

Visit: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mx_series/pixma_mx472#DriversAndSoftware.

Select your Operating System.

Expand the Software Heading and download any additional software you might use with your printer.

Best of luck and Please jeep BC posted!

#14 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:16 AM

thanks for all the help and suggestions, i will try everything that is suggested when i get more time to work on it, i just came back quickly to provide more info which might be important,

after the wireless setup failed it came up with a screen that says if you want to install the printer with a usb cable connect it now, i plugged the usb into the computer with the printer turned on, then i got a popup that said "communicating with the printer via USB"

at this point i was all excited and thought it was good to go, about 2 mins later it came up and said something like installed failed, or can not install this hardware,

another piece of info......

i ran the USBDeview program and deleted all Cannon items, after that when i plug the printer in to the computer it appears in that list and the light at the side is green,

when i unplug the printer it disappears from the list,

so my thinking is, the computer can see the printer and it knows its there, it just cant communicate with it for some reason :smash:

Edited by mikey11, 10 December 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,431 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

See if resetting the printer helps. Do it with the USB cable detached.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users