Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SanDisk microSD/TransFlash adapters freeze computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kelsyhb

kelsyhb

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

I have about three of these SanDisk micro SD/TransFlash adapters I've accumulated over the years. All three of them cause whatever computer I'm using to freeze completely whenever I insert them.

I guess it could be the actual microSD cards...they have worked fine in my phones.

I'm not sure what to do. I can't reformat them because they cause the computer to freeze.

Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:49 PM

Just in case it's a one-off problem between your computer and these cards, have you tried formatting them in a different computer ?

Or even, I know very little about mobile phones, tried formatting them in your phone ?  I do have a mobile which I even carry about with me, but friends unkindly refer to it as a 'brick', just because it isn't smart.

Even if they do cause another computer to freeze it doesn't normally cause any harm to the computer once they are removed.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 kelsyhb

kelsyhb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

I have tried on a couple different computers; both my personal laptop and work laptop (risky, I know). I assumed that because I got the same result on two different computers, it's an issue with the card itself. Whether it's the actual MicroSD card or the larger card that you insert the micro card into, I am not sure, nor am I sure the best way to troubleshoot...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,616 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

You can try a USB type adapter and then plug the SDcard into it. They are not that expensive on ebay. I am not sure if linux would have the drivers for the card reader but you could try a live CD of a small linux distro like Puppy. Burn the iso file and boot Puppy. Attach the SDcard and see if Puppy mounts the drive and you can read the contents.

Here is another adapter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users