Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this setup ok?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigrobifer

bigrobifer

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:59 PM

I have an hp15 laptop with windows8. I am running these programs all together; Avast, Winpatrol, Malwarebytes antiexploit and zemana keylogger. Havent noticed any conflicts or bad slowdowns. Was just wondering about better informed opinions. I kinda want to run my laptop as a vm on most occasions. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:12 PM

Avast being a realtime virus scanning engine, I don't think you'll need to use Winpatrol along with it. And it should be able to work fine with MB antiexploit and the keylogger.

#3 bigrobifer

bigrobifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:13 AM

the reason i wanted win patrol is because of the registry guard. having problems in getting one i can live with. any suggestions on that?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:19 PM

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice if looking for a paid for program and so is Kaspersky Anti-virus. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro and Emsisoft Anti-Malware as the backbone to supplementing my anti-virus software.

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

I also recommend the following to supplement the above and for additional security:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 bigrobifer

bigrobifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 12:08 AM

i specifically started using winpatrol with avast because i was confident after a litte reading that it wouldnt conflit. i wanted win patrol for the registry lockdown features but i havent actually bought yet and was wanting some alternatives for stand alone registry quards like partizan. preferably a free/lite version but i like winpatrol enough to cough up 30 for it

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:10 AM

WinPatrol is a versatile program (originally created by Bill Pytlovany/BillP Studios and now owned by Ruiware, LLC) that monitors important system areas that are commonly altered by malware. This includes the startup groups (registry and startup folder), cookies and active tasks. WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol utilizes a small memory footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources...and offers many features such as:

• Takes a snapshot of critical system resources and provides alerts if any changes occur.
  • Serves as a Startup Manager which works much better than MSConfig.
  • Tracks programs that have been installed on your system and monitor the location Windows uses to store Uninstall information.
  • Alerts to changes in programs that run at startup.
  • Alerts if another program has removed a Startup program.
  • Has the ability to delay the launch of a Startup program.
  • Detects and alerts to changes in Internet Explorer Home and Search pages.
  • Allows viewing and deletion of Cookies.
  • Monitors toolbars, registry modifications, changes to file extensions and changes to the HOSTS file.

WinPatrol is split into two components. WinPatrol.exe is the real-time component which monitors for system changes and displays the Scotty icon in the taskbar. WinPatrolEx.exe (WinPatrol Explorer) provides the main tabbed interface which allows you to review all rhe various tabs by double-clicking the Scotty icon in the taskbar.

WinPatrol PLUS provides high performance, real-time monitoring and access to the PLUS Info database. It requires a one time fee for all future versions (updates) and a single license is valid on all your personal desktops and laptops. See How To Activate WinPatrol PLUS features.

If you highlight an entry, you can click on the Info button to gather additional information such as a file's full path (location). If you are using the Pro version, you click on PLUSInfo... which will take you to its website to see what they have to say about it. You can also do this by highlighting an entry, right-clicking on it and select PLUSInfo from the context menu.

Why I prefer using WinPatrol - Case For Using WinPatrol
WinPatrol - Get alerts to important changes to your computer

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users