Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is my build ok?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 threebills

threebills

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

hello all,i built this for gaming mostly and am wondering (although it looks good and running fine) if i could have done something better,i still have time to return stuff and swap out so please any advice/opinions are welcome

i7 4790k

ASUS Z97 AR MOBO

SAMSUNG 850 PRO 128 GIG

KINGSTON HYPERX 2X8 GIG 1600 MHZ

NVIDIA 660 TI VID CARD

CORSAIR CX750M PSU

ALSO ,is the samsung 840 evo better for gaming and all around use than the 850 pro SSD? i heard conflicting thoughts

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:13 AM

I guess I would check video game performance to see if the video card was good enough for me.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:32 AM

SAMSUNG 850 PRO 128 GIG

IMHO

That is a little small for a Windows pc. My Ubuntu with games and assorted software comes in at 59 GiB and that's without any MP3's.

How big is a windows install now days 20 GiB?

Add to that Games Drivers other software.

Add to that over-provisioning (between 6.7 and 10% of total drive space)

And you are not left with all that much space.

Maximize SSD Lifetime and Performance With Over ...

★★Brand NEW★★ Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD Solid State Drive 530MB/s 7mm SATA3

Edited by NickAu, 09 December 2014 - 04:30 AM.

#4 threebills

threebills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:49 AM

ya,i used 60 gigs but i have nothing else to dl,i plan on getting a hdd for storage,just buying  everything left me broke lol

#5 threebills

threebills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

ya it does look really good and im happy with it,i was just wondering if i did ok for the money....tyvm for your replies

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

Hello threebills, i am just curious to the reason why you have chosen a 750W power supply for a single graphics card system? Do you plan to use multiple graphics card later on? Getting a 840 EVO will be cheaper and you will not notice the difference in performances between the 840 and 850 when gaming. That saved amount could go to a better graphics card, as a "gaming" system, you would want the best graphics card you can get within your budget, rather then the top of the line CPU. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 threebills

threebills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:08 PM

ya i got the 750 watt because it was on sale and just 15 dollars more,figured mind as well just in case i needed it later on.As far as the chip i was looking at the i5 4690k,being the 4790k was 70 buks more and i had the money,i just went for it being this is the only computer i have,and again,in case i needed it for the future,Im figuring then for gaming all is ok unless i get a better vid card?

#8 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:40 PM

first off, way to go on getting everything up and running!

i would recommend a second, mechanical (not SSD) HD for storage, as you're gonna run out of space pretty fast. Down the road, I'd look at upgrading GPU, maybe adding more/bettter fans or pre-built liquid cooling apparatus. heat is one of the greatest enemies of computer functioning... (after water, shock, nevermind... there's about a billion ways to screw up a computer.)

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#9 threebills

threebills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:38 PM

THANK YOU DEFANGED! ya,im gonna get another hdd for storage for sure,im just a blue collar worker and couldnt wait to have it all at once,i bought what i could to have it up and running while i had the cash lol....ya i was thinking the same on the gpu,although this 660 ti actually looks great and im happy with it,i was just wondering others thoughts,..heres the thing.....im semi ok with comps,knowing what does what and what to look for,but not pro...and asking others,there will always be critisicm,which i want...to find out info,only way we learn is asking...i guess i didnt ask my question properly,i should have said" is my comp good for gaming and any future things i might need to do on it" lol thats why i overkilled the chip and power supply....and i thank everyone for the input cause everyones comments help me learn more.....

pretty pic btw,you build that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users