Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dimension 4550 USB Boot options?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:04 PM

Hello guys, this machine stopped recognizing the 2 dvd rom's, I am trying to reload XP but since I can use a CD I am trying to boot from a USB stick but not seeing a USB boot option in the BIOS or boot menu, help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:07 PM

Try with different USB ports or you didn't make USB bootable. That model should have usb boot option and auto add it in boot menu (f12 option on start) when connected. Could be possible it doesn't support boot of USB device but I really doubt.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

In the Boot menu I am seeing only 3 options:

Diskette drive

Hard Disk C

IDE CD-rom device

Nothing is mentioned about "auto add"?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:14 PM

Can you boot from the floppy drive and do you have a floppy disk? You will need another computer with a floppy drive if there is no OS on the laptop. Download Plop bootmanager. In the zip file will be a file called plbpt.img. This is a RAW image of a bootable floppy. Use RAWwrite for Windows to create the bootable disk. Boot the floppy with the flash drive attached and use the arrow keys to select USB of the PLop boot manager and then press enter. You should be able to boot from the bootable USB of XP.

K4PNe.png

Edit: I have successfully used Plop to boot a USB on a computer that had not support in BIOS for USB boot.

Edit Edit: I am not sure but there may be an issue with XP rebooting to complete the install. You would need to remove the floppy and hope XP already has the USB drivers to complete the rest of the install.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 December 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

I don't have floppies and haven't seen them in years, no worries guys, I will simply junk this old unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users