Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 on WIN 7 System?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 august22

august22

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:11 AM

MY computer has win 7 installed on it and i also have a 1TB external drive. My question is :Can i install win 10 on the external

hard drive without affecting the win 7 hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:28 AM

You can use it as Virtual machine. I think no other way is possible but don't take this as final answer maybe someone else will know better.

Edited by splico, 08 December 2014 - 09:29 AM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 KaoticEvil

KaoticEvil

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:40 AM

You should also be able to install it to the external drive during setup. I have done this before.

#4 Chuts

Chuts

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:50 AM

If you instal Win 10 on the external drive, the Bios on your system has to have the feature of being able to boot from an external drive.  If it doesn't then an alternative would be to backup the internal drive with Macrium Reflect Free then instal Win 10 on the internal.  You will be able to restore the Win 7 backup if you decide to remove Win 10.

#5 KaoticEvil

KaoticEvil

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:54 AM

Windows setup will still install the bootloader to the internal drive, however you m ight run into some problems booting the computer with the external drive detached.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:51 PM

MY computer has win 7 installed on it and i also have a 1TB external drive. My question is :Can i install win 10 on the external

Whatever you decide on doing, my advice would be to perform a full disk image of the drive containing Windows 7. The Windows Technical Preview will overwrite your bootloader during install and upon upgrading. So far, I've had three upgrades from the original, 

I learned this on my main PC, and will never install this Preview OS on it again, at least not until the final one is released. 

Currently I'm running the Windows Technical Preview via VirtualBox. That way, no harm is done to my other OS's. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 KaoticEvil

KaoticEvil

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

Whatever you decide on doing, my advice would be to perform a full disk image of the drive containing Windows 7. The Windows Technical Preview will overwrite your bootloader during install and upon upgrading. So far, I've had three upgrades from the original, 

I learned this on my main PC, and will never install this Preview OS on it again, at least not until the final one is released. 

Currently I'm running the Windows Technical Preview via VirtualBox. That way, no harm is done to my other OS's. 

Cat

Very true. I wouldn't recommend running the Tech Preview on a mission critical machine. It is still beta, after all. However, it is easy enough to get back your WIndows 7 bootloader. Just boot from your installation media, and select Repair, and then follow the steps for boot recovery.

#8 Veldon

Veldon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:31 PM

I am currently running both Win 7 and Win 10 on my system but they boot from different drives neither of which are external.  When I installed Win 10 I unplugged the Win 7 boot drive just to be sure it didn't get corrupted.  I also keep my data on a different drive/partition other than my boot drives and I am sharing data with both Win 7 and Win10 without any problems so far.  If your computer is capable of booting from an external drive there is no reason Win 10 shouldn't boot from an external drive.

I have kept my data on a separate drive/partition from my boot drive ever since windows 3.1, it just makes it so much easier when windows gets corrupted to install an image backup of the current operating system and not have to worry about backing up and reinstalling data files. Also it makes the image backup considerably smaller.  In about 15 minutes I am back up and going without the need to install a couple hundred updates or all the data which installing both can take days and there is always the chance of losing something.

I find it to be much easier and quicker to install a backup image than to trouble shoot a corrupted windows operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users