Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using mobile websites on a laptop?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:32 AM

I just moved to a new flat without any internet so I have to make do with my phones mobile hotpot. So not only is it slow but I only have 5gb per month and I don't want to use it all on things like facebook. So I was wondering if anyone knows how to reduce this, especially for facebook which loads 100s of photos and videos of stupid things like cats every time I log in. I was thinking if there was a way to trick my laptop into thinking it is a phone or tablet so that it would load facebook and other websites mobile sites which use less data?

I'm using windows 8 with firefox browser.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:15 PM

You can reduce bandwidth usage by setting plugins as "click to play" or "ask to activate". this will mean you don't have all the data for adverts transferred across whenever you visit a site, your connection will only transfer the important stuff (the text and images) un less you actually choos to let it play a particular piece of flash video content. You could reduce usage even further by setting your browser not to load images without your permission. Another thing that may help you is noscript, it will block all scripts except those you choose to let through. Again this will reduce your connection requirements and allow you to surf the web without loading unneccessary data. Blocking scripts and plugins also helps increase computer security, so you tackle two problems with one solution. You need not "trick" the laptop into thinking itself a phone, you just need to block scripts and flash as this will more or less reduce your data usage to that which a phone would have. Going to the mobile sites would also reduce the capabilities of what you could do, whilst blocking plugins and scripts will give a similar reduction in data use but you can easily allow certain scripts and plugins to get complex functions back on the few pages where you need them. I did this when i used a mobile broadband dongle for my connection, as soon as i did it my data usage was dropeed to about a tenth of what it was before and my browser was much faster.

Edited by rp88, 08 December 2014 - 02:18 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 11:10 AM

1. You can run Android on Virtual Box if your PC hardware is powerful (really powerful).

http://www.android-x86.org/

2. You can change the Firefox useragent string to that of mobile like Android, iPhone etc. This will tell websites that you are using mobile phone and load mobile sites.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

3. You can use Fennec (Firefox's mobile browser)

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mobile/releases/10.0b6/win32/en-US/

4. You can run Firefox OS simulator.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Tools/Firefox_OS_Simulator

Edited by Romeo29, 10 December 2014 - 11:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users