Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Help Determine The Best Computer Brand

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: What Is Your Opinion Of These Brands Currently (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Samsung

1. Good (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. Bad (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Voted Okay (3 votes [42.86%])

HP

2. Bad (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Voted Okay (4 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Sony

2. Bad (0 votes [0.00%])

Acer

2. Bad (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Voted Okay (2 votes [28.57%])

Gateway

1. Good (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Bad (5 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

Toshiba

Apple

2. Voted Bad (3 votes [42.86%])

3. Okay (1 votes [14.29%])

Leveno

1. Good (4 votes [57.14%])

Asus

2. Bad (0 votes [0.00%])

Dell

1. Good (2 votes [28.57%])

2. Bad (2 votes [28.57%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:58 AM

I thought we could discuss the various brands of computers, and why a particular brand is getting your business.

1. What brand of computer do you have, and why did you choose that brand?

2. Would you choose that brand again? Why?

3. What issues have you had with your machine? (Eg: things breaking, not working, or being inconvenient)

4. What are some things you love about your machine?

5. If you've ever contacted the company, how would you rate their customer service?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:09 AM

The best brand, at least for a desktop, is a custom built not a Dell, dude.

All my desktops have been custom made for me. I get the hardware I want.

No pre-installed bloatware.

All of them, except for the first one, cost the same a mid-level off-the-shelf-system.

I tell my tech what I want, he builds it.

My laptop is an HP. I bought it for 2 reasons:

1) It was on sale when I bought it. Got it during the back to school no-tax holiday weekend in 2012.
2) I have a direct contact at HP. My cousin works for HP. If need help I email him. I've never had an emergency with it but if I did I could call him at home. Or drive the 3 hours to his house, taking the laptop with me.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 December 2014 - 12:16 PM.
edit to correct year HP purchased. (fumble fingers just noticed I had said 2102)

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:31 AM

I agree with the Queen. Custom built. I've built the last 5 or 6 computers I've owned. No problems except with the software, none with the hardware.

I have laptop I ordered from Cyberpowerpc.com that I've had for over a year with no problems. If I had to go out and buy another laptop, I'd go there first. :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

OOPs, I saw something that was missing.

I said all my desktops have been custom built. When I wrote that I forgot about the Compaq. I inherited it from my mother. Only used when mine was in the shop getting motherboards or hard drives replaced (each time they were still under warranty)

Using the Compaq was a good reminder as to why I prefer custom built.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

The best brand, at least for a desktop, is a custom built

I would strongly agree with that. Mine cost 600 dollars.

-Intel® Core i5 Processor 4460. MSI H81-P33 MB,  8GiB Ram,  256GiB mSATA SSD Boot + 1TiB 5400RPM SATA .

I also have a HP pavillion G6 never had a problem.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

That's about the same thing all my custom builts have cost.

Except for the first one, which we had built to replace our first computer which was a Thinkpad.

Since we were getting our first desktop we had the tech include a mouse, keyboard, monitor and close to top-of-the-line speakers.

I also opted for video and sound cards.

What I do is look at the basic build (most computer shops will have one) then go from there. I tell the tech what I need/want and he builds it for me.

So far my HP laptop with Windows 7 has had a couple of minor issues which were quickly resolved and it performs like a champ.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

I agree with Nick and Queen-Evie - for a desktop, build it yourself. Apart from the reasons given above it isn't all that difficult to do if you can read a manual and know which end of a screwdriver is which. And there is the BC section on buying and building new computers to help and advise.

As for laptops, we have a Toshiba which is nearly 10 years old and still starts first time, every time but is now a spare. My wife has a Fujitsu Amilo which has given no trouble in the four years she has had it, and I recently had occasion to take an e-machine (now Acer) to pieces and I was truly impressed with the documentation which was superb. I can't say the same for the construction layout - I would have had to bill £UK 50 to change a CMOS battery costing £1 if I had been doing it professionally.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:43 PM

I concur, custom is the best way to go for desktops, because you can build exactly what you want, make sure not to get parts from brands with poor track records, plus it's more fun!

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:31 PM

Something like this would suit most home users.

AMD Quad Core A8 6600K 3.9GHz Gaming Computer 8GB 1TB Radeon HD8570D Desktop PC

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

I usually don't worry too much about hardware brands, if it works well enuogh for me to run an operating system i am happy with and the programs i like then i'm fine. Really the big difference in computer capabilities, usability, user freedom, interface design, limitations is due to the operating system or programs on them, different hardware(as long as hardware is relaiable) just affects how fast things will be (as oppposed to whether they can happen at all), how big a screen will be (as opposed to what it will display) and other quantitative not qualitative effects. Unreliable, badly made hardware is ofcourse another matter.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:01 PM

There is no way to the determine the "best brand" of anything.

If I were to say HP is the best brand someone else would say "No it isn't. XYZ is the best brand".

Another person would say "XYZ is horrible. ABC is the best".

As I stated I have had no major issues with my HP laptop. So for me, right now, HP is the "best brand".

Future experience with this laptop will determine if I continue to think it is "best".

PAST experience also influences what we think is "best". My daughter had a Toshiba laptop.
Shortly after the warranty ended she started having problems with it. She recently got a new laptop and it was NOT a Toshiba.
Based on her experience (and that of a couple of other people who ended up disliking their Toshiba laptops) I steer clear of Toshiba. The experiences others have with a certain brand can also influence us regarding future purchases.

Hollowface, you did agree that custom built is best. However, you have given no opinion on which brand YOU think is best and why.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 December 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#12 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

I agree that best is something undeterminable; everyone has unique expectations of a product/service, and so
our opinions are equally as unique. However sharing them can still be helpful to others trying to find which
they would deem best. I also like the idea giving props where they've been earned.

I think Dell is the best brand. That's not to say I consider them good. I think okay would be a more suitable word.
I would certainly buy a Dell with more confidence/trust than any other brand I've used.

Why I think Dell is the best:
 - Their products span low to high price ranges, and in each price category they've usually seemed to have competative hardware specs.
 - Their website provides a decent experience (or at least it did the last time I used it a few years back) which is important
to me because I like to be able to download drivers, and lookup detailed hardware specs.
 - On the few occasions I've dealt with them for support they were able to resolve my issues (this was many many years ago).
 - Their machines seem to be built well enough that they get passed on to new owners multiple times.
 - The only Dell product I've ever had break on me is the mouse I'm using right now...it's slowly dying, and I hope to
   replace it with the same model again. I do own another fully functioning mouse, but I can't stand using it, so I don't use it...I forget which brand it is.

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:50 PM

for all my desktops I custom build. as far as laptops, there are several good brands out there, so I tend to lean towards who has the best customer service for when things do go wrong (they do with all brands) and HP has always, always treated me right, so my business as far as laptops has always been HP.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#14 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:41 AM

Desktop PC: Custom-build.  I agree, the best way to go with a Desktop PC is a build for better flexibility, access, and user-desired components.

My other reason for built Desktop's is the requirement (for me) of having Sata Racks installed (hot-swap).  They're convenient for periodic HDD backup plans (Cloning, etc).

Laptop:  Toshiba Satellite L655-S5168 bought in 2011

I've only had 1 Laptop so far so I don't have anything else to compare with Laptop brand names. The Toshiba has been running without problems since purchased.

I chose the Toshiba for screen size (15.6) for what I needed, and general cosmetics.

Since I haven't needed to contact Toshiba directly for any issue as yet, I can't rate their Cust Svc but I am a member of their official Forum and the info/contributions there are good.

#15 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

XYZ is horrible

I have XYZ laptop, and find it more than adequate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users