Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will the Radeon R9 280 WORK with my MB and CPU?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:48 AM

Hey guys, thanks for your time as usual. After much discussion on this forum with some helpful people I decided to go with this graphics card based on the money I have available. It's the Radeon R9 280 (that link will take you to the exact one).

Before I buy it I just wanted to make sure it will be compatible with my MB AND wont cause it to overheat.. same with my CPU. I've been checking temps while playing some games with my current card and the MB get's nearly up to 100 degrees Celsius! So does my CPU. The card I'm using now however doesn't seem to get too hot.. and that's my Radeon HD 6850. Ok so here's the MB and CPU info:

MB: MSI MS-7374 chipset NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI (PCI express 16x)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940

So I just want to be sure that everything will be ok and that my gaming will improve a bit as well as be compatible with everything. I can NOT also get a new CPU or MB unfortunately, but it you think it's not worth the card until I get a new CPU or MB, please let me know. This card is actually a birthday/Christmas gift, so the actually buyers are on my ass to make a choice lol. :) Alrighty, thanks in advance for any responses! You guys are the greatest!

Colin

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:08 AM

It should work just fine as you do have PCI-e, but you may not be able to use crossfire due to your mobo being mainly for SLI. 

Edited by gavinseabrook, 08 December 2014 - 01:08 AM.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Slave2Society7

Slave2Society7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:05 PM

Awesome, thanks buddy. Crossfire would be sweet, but not only would I need a new MB, it would be pointless without the CPU to make use of that power. :( Crossfire IS combining the power of two graphics cards, correct? It that's really what it is, it sounds insane. Maybe one day, when the economy get's somewhat back to normal and everyone isn't back living with their parents! Sad stuff. Thanks again though!

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

#4 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 02:55 PM

You might want to take a look at your cooling system, and see if there's any easy ways to cool down your components...

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users