Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 paulsart86

paulsart86

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:43 PM

this is my first post so hello everyone.

i have recently bought a new router for my house so i can use the internet wherever i am on my laptop.

I am using a Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter #2 for my laptop and my router is a Linksys WRT54GS 125 mbps with speedbooster. i am upstairs in my bedroom on my laptop and the router is in the room next door, yet my connection speed is a measly 5.5 mbps and varies from time to time and stays slow. does anyone have any answers on how to make it speed up?? cheers in advance, Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:14 PM

Did you use the wireless network setup (in the control panel) to set up your network?

#3 test n' trial

test n' trial

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:22 PM

ok even though you have a speedbooster doesnt mean itll work. Mine is 802.11g and its consistant. The only thing is its your network card. mine is onliy 54g but you can always upgrade!

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

WHat kind of card is in your laptop? is it a b or g card?

Also since the mail computer is in the other room. What lind of wall is there for the signal to go thru?

Edited by ThorXP, 18 June 2006 - 10:02 PM.

#5 paulsart86

paulsart86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:01 AM

my card is g yes. i used the linksys cd to set it up and there just thin walls in the way from the router to my laptop

#6 wektech

wektech

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:03 PM

What are your signal stregnth and quality levels reported on the laptop. I suspect they are quite low. Try putting the router at as high an elevation as possible. Turn off the speed booster on the router as the belkin does not support it anyhow. I would also scan for other networks on the same or nearby channels, if you find one being used try to move to a channel at least 5 away from the interference. One trick I have done for several customers with weak cards in a laptop or signal stregnth issues is to use a USB wireless adapter with an extension cable. By placing the usb adapter in a location that in not blocked by furniture and other obstructions, the signal was quite high and connection speed was increased 10 fold.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 12:18 PM

Try some of these links:

MSBBN: How to troubleshoot wireless connection problems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;831770

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;870702

The New Wireless Network Setup Wizard in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community...guy/cg0604.mspx

Wireless: Connecting Your Computers in a Network
http://www.infinisource.com/resources/Comp...networking.html

If you find something that can help please print for reference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users