Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some info about networking equipment.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Blood

Mr Blood

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

So i work at a telemarketing company and they are doing some major remodeling. Well me and a co-worker of mine had the privilege to throw away tons of equipment. well we were puzzeled because it all looked kind of expensive (probably really outdated like we both figured) i asked our boss if we were supposed to throw away all the equipment because of our suspicion of their value. she said "yep, i have been asking people for at least the last 2-3 weeks if they wanted anything but nobody took it so its all going to be trashed" so we both grabbed what we could load in our vehicles and i need some info on them since i cant find anything on them. i know they deal with networking but idk what specifically or their value. i do have a working APC Smart-UPS 1500 and a
 working APC Back-UPS ES 725

here is an album with pics of the other equipment.
http://imgur.com/a/s1NtO#0

if i can sell them then i will be really happy.

Edited by Mr Blood, 07 December 2014 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:01 PM

What you need to do is get pictures of the front of each piece of cisco equipment. OR just write down the numbers/letters in the corners.

Like the 2948G in one of the pictures is what I mean. That is a 48 port switch - ebay price - $20 - $100 

And you have a couple of them at least. In the box of wires look if one is a console -  http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7RzhMDDw5iY/SKDNkI3gTcI/AAAAAAAAADs/PgRLXsCYgWQ/s400/rollover_cable.gif 

With that, if you can find a PC with the right serial port, and a power cable; you can boot it up and see what IOS is on it. more than likely it will be 12.x but still good. It works on routers as well. 

The other stuff, I'm not sure.

Also, SCORE...lucky SOBs lol

Edited by CaveDweller2, 07 December 2014 - 06:01 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Mr Blood

Mr Blood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:01 PM

i have 6 Catalyst 2948G and 2 Catalyst 2900.. then those 3 big nameless mofo's lol but i have basically no clue what anything there does.. also i couldnt find the cord you were talking about but i did find a bleepload of powercords underneath all of the short ethernet cables lol

Edited by Mr Blood, 07 December 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

The big things are servers it looks like. Other than the piece of paper on the front one that one, is there more info on the back or something? 

The short ethernet cables are how the switches are connected to one another. I'd get some compressed and blow the dust out of the switches. That stinks about the console cable. You kinda need one to see what IOS is on them. I'm willing to bet there's one in there. But no idea how to tell you to look for it. 

Edited by CaveDweller2, 07 December 2014 - 08:55 PM.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Mr Blood

Mr Blood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:13 PM

i found out that the big things are called Alliance Systems I-Series 5000 Servers. i found out they were used for call recording. so now that i know that, what can i use this stuff for? like could i re-purpose them for other uses?

the other photos. some of the switches had different stuff plugged in. one had a 1000BASE-T-GBIC Transceiver plugged in and the others had three 1000base-sx plugged in.

http://imgur.com/a/IhstC

I guess all in all i just want to know if i could possubly use them as is or get a few cheap add ons to help them and what in the hell could i do with them.

Edited by Mr Blood, 08 December 2014 - 12:16 AM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:55 AM

The servers - you might be able to put Linux on them but ya need to open them up to see whats what inside and if they have hard drives. Also see if there is a way to get them online built in(doubtful) or if they have a PCI slot so you can get a network card. But that's about it...they are rather old.

the switches - unless you're into networking or in need of that many ports on a switch, I'd sell them. But you need to get a console cable so you can see what's going on with the software. If you search ebay for the model number you'll see that most people show a screen with the boot information. Most everyone is going to want to know that and they'll need to know they actually work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users