Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good quality SATA 3 cables in different lengths: do they exist?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 raptorman

raptorman

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:06 AM

Hi.

I've spent a large part of the day routing cables so that my build looks clean. I was a bit peeved that the WD hard drives came with no SATA data cables at first. The DVD-RW didn't either. the result is that I need to order some.

Then I thought, 'okay, at least I can get colour matched cables and select appropriate lengths so that they're not all messy when installed'. That's when I hit the snag. Ideally I want a cable at 30cm and four at about 20cm but I can't see any anywhere!

Am I into making up my own, or can you get short cables anywhere in the UK? It makes sense to have them as short as possible for data transfer, so why do they all seem to be 50cm or even longer?

Oh, and ideally I'd want them to be blue!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:12 AM

There are large selection of SATA cables on Ebay from 12cm to 2m long. Usual length of cables that come bundled with motherboards is around 20cm.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:31 PM

As you are in the UK, Kustom PC is pretty good for things like this.  They have SATA cables in blue in different lengths, and fancy braided and rounded ones if you prefer.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:55 PM

Just a note...when drives are sold "bare", the buyer will not get connecting cables as part of the purchase.

http://www.howtogeek.com/201254/what-is-a-bare-or-oem-hard-drive/

Louis

#5 raptorman

raptorman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:25 PM

As you are in the UK, Kustom PC is pretty good for things like this.  They have SATA cables in blue in different lengths, and fancy braided and rounded ones if you prefer.

Thanks for that. I've found them and they have almost everything I need, the exception being a few VGA mini connectors that I can probably do without and still get the effect I want. Thanks!

#6 raptorman

raptorman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

Just a note...when drives are sold "bare", the buyer will not get connecting cables as part of the purchase.

http://www.howtogeek.com/201254/what-is-a-bare-or-oem-hard-drive/

Louis

Ah!

I'm new to this and it's my first build. I just assumed that I'd get them. Actually, it's better this way for me because I'd be ditching standard cables anyway, in favour of making up my own.

#7 raptorman

raptorman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:33 PM

There are large selection of SATA cables on Ebay from 12cm to 2m long. Usual length of cables that come bundled with motherboards is around 20cm.

I must not have seen the shorter ones. In the end I got Bitfenix alchemy at 30cm. This is okay but they are a bit stiff...I thing they'll just have to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users