Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on buying a usb projector

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mr benn

mr benn

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:55 AM

Hi .   I would just like some advice on buying a usb projector , to be used on a laptop, and maybe ipad.
It will be used to play some movies, but also to show some Office type documents (power point), this is just for 'play', not office.

What are the key things I should look for ?  Is it the 'native resoltion' , and luminens ?

I am looking to not really spend more than £100  -  as its just for home, and can see it become a not often used novelty !  But Id like it to be good enough to use.
I have looked on ebay , but dont know if for example 480 x 380 native resolution is good enough ?

Also , would we need to buy a screen, or do these work ok on walls / large sheets ?

Thanks in advance for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

Hi there,

hope this information helps you a bit.

Lumines - more lumines meaning your projector has more "power" in strength of light, too low on lumens and will be hard to use in room with lots of light or without having total dark in room, more lumens picture looking better when bright light is in room. 

Resolution - try to change resolution on your PC to nearest one you can get to resolution of projector. That is how your picture will look on that resolution no matter is it screen or projector. My opinion is that is too low for anything except some PowerPoint presentation.

It can work on white walls and will look ok, but best picture preformance or looks call it as you wish will be when using some projector screen.

I use Dell mini projector M109S and more then satisfied with result. Only problem I see with using that device is lack of some wall stand so I had to make one by myself. It is connected on VGA port not on USB. 

Edited by splico, 07 December 2014 - 11:25 AM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 mr benn

mr benn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Splico.

Im balancing between paying too much for something Im not sure how much it will be used.

If I knew it would be used a lot , Id be happier paying more for a better model.

I see that your model is 800 x600 .   Do you think a 640 x 380 model would be okay ?

eg   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Cinema-Theater-Multimedia-LED-LCD-Projector-HD-1080P-PC-AV-VGA-USB-HDMI-TV/261469377448?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D28111%26meid%3D9605a204eb3545899e3d0d4c89f7a11e%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D11472%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D161349467523&rt=nc#ht_4733wt_4888

And sorry to ask, but these projectors - do they just show anything thats displaying on your laptop ?

Edited by mr benn, 07 December 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

£ 37 ?  That's a gift for a projector. If you are just going to use it occasionally that should do you, although I am not quite clear what resolution it offers. The headline says 1080p which is HiDef, but underneath it says 640 x 480. Take a careful look !

You might also investigate the availability of replacement bulbs, they can be horribly expensive.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 mr benn

mr benn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:23 AM

Thanks Chris.   I think the 'natvie' resolution is the true definition.

The amount of luminens is very low on some models, but that just affects how dark the room has to be , i beleive.

Am I right in thinking that whatever you display on your laptop will go thru the projector onto a screen ?  Or will it only show certain files ?    Im just thinking if we play a dvd , will it project okay ?

Thanks

#6 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:16 AM

You use projector as external monitor. Either will extend picture (best way for me) you can surf internet on one monitor and play movie on projector.

Other option is to mirror image - what you see on main monitor exactly the same will be on projector

and third option is using only projector as main monitor.

Any of this options can be changed with using WIN key on keyboard + P letter. It will offer you 4 modes to change: computer only / Duplicate / extend / projector only

windows-menu.gif?sfvrsn=4

Edited by splico, 09 December 2014 - 09:17 AM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users