Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I make my Win 7 laptop a server?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dcstim

dcstim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:32 AM

I have a laptop running Windows 7 and it has been great, sadly I need to get a new one and it will have Windows 8.1 instead!  Is there a way to make my old laptop a server so that I can still run programs from it but store the data on the new machine?  I am totally out of my depth here and would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks and sorry if this is the wrong forum!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

Simple File sharing / folder sharing could look like you have "file" server if that is what are you trying to achieve. 

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 dcstim

dcstim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:07 PM

Thanks,

Will I be able to run the programs from the old laptop on the new one?

#4 haycg

haycg

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:08 PM

Thanks,

Will I be able to run the programs from the old laptop on the new one?

Sometimes but not always. Windows 7 has a good operating system. Windows 8.1 is not to my liking.

I believe Microsoft said Window 10 will come out in the last part of the year 2015, maybe you could wait ?

As for sharing you can set up a Home Network to access files on another computer. Both computer have

to be on. I won't give instructions, I'm not to good at that for setting up home network.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:05 PM

For best performance, it is better to run programs on the client machine and save the data to a server, rather than run the program from the server and save the data to the client. So in other words, set up the Windows 7 machine as a file server and run the programs from Windows 8.1. But the other way around is possible -- you could use Remote Desktop or any other remoting tool to log into the laptop, or use a RemoteApp-like program to make those applications appear as icons on your Windows 8 computer.

#6 dcstim

dcstim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

Thank you for the replies, I'll give it all some thought before I decide which way to go!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users