Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photoshop randomly stops taking commands properly.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CaptMytre

CaptMytre

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:37 AM

Hey guys, googled best troubleshooting forum and you guys were first for me, so here I am!

I've posted this on the Adobe community forum and talked to their suppport, both are useless. Here is my recentish post there:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1546650

Problem:
Photoshop randomly stops taking commands properly. Clicks don't register for anything that changes the file, preferences etc. Can still navigate through menus and around the project. One exception to this is that if I quickly repeat a command, it will go through on the second attempt. Bug is limited to Photoshop.

Video of the bug (not me):
http://screencast.com/t/kG1YgmQ7

How to generate the bug:
Unknown. Can happen at any time, though usually after a few hours of PC usage. Bug also might occur without opening photoshop.

Version:
CS6 Master Collection

My skill:
Advanced.

Additional information:

1. I have had this issue on my laptop as well, making it two machines with this issue. I have recently done a clean install of windows on the laptop and am loading programs one by one carefully over who-knows-how long until the issue arises again. This should filter out if and/or what program/driver is causing the issue.

2. On my PC, I have change my GPU card from a HD6970, to a R9 290X, and then to a GTX 780. The issue has persisted across these cards, making it highly unlikely to be GPU issue. I have also installed an SSD (a total of 3 data drives now) onto this machine, meaning the HDD is unlikely to be the issue either. The specs for my laptop/PC are below.

3. I can get commands to work if I quickly execute it right after the failed command. For example, if I have an open document, and attempt to use the paint brush, nothing will happen. If I do it again, but double click, the second click will cause the paint brush to work. This happens for all processes, including creating a new file etc.

4. I have used a program called "Process Monitor" to see what happens when I draw a dot with paint brush when I have this issue and when I don't. I don't know if this will help anyone, but it might give a clue as to what direction this problem lies and what's actually happening. There is quiet a difference.

The bug has not shown itself - button click starts from the first highlighted process in the first image, to the last highlighted process in the last. :

ylXmr4e.png

The bug has occurred - note that when I do a single click, the lines from 12:44:47:1703446 AM to 12:44:47:1705284 AM appear, but when I do a double click (as talked about above), the lines from 12:44:47:1703446 AM to 12:44:6231387 AM appear.

F1IYFTR.png

PC specs: - drivers all up to date and all normal problem solving has been done (deleteing preferences/reinstalling/redownloading/reformatting whole PC).
Windows 7 64bit
i7 950
GTX 780
Rampage Gene III mobo
12GB ram

Laptop specs: - nothing is on this laptop but Photoshop/Illustrator/wireless adapter.
Windows 7 64bit
i7 3630QM
GTX 680M
16GB ram

Edited by CaptMytre, 07 December 2014 - 07:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:20 AM

Do you use original copy of Adobe Photoshop? They will help you much more then anyone. If you are using pirated copy that could couse the issue.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 CaptMytre

CaptMytre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:51 PM

Do you use original copy of Adobe Photoshop? They will help you much more then anyone. If you are using pirated copy that could couse the issue.

It's a legitimate copy. I've tried their support multiple times, but they always run through the default "reinstall, remove preferences, reformat etc." that has got me nowhere. The other issue is, is that since I cannot reproduce the bug on demand, that they will tell me to restart the PC and the bug will go away, but will come back a few hours later.

They have also claimed the issue is not with photoshop since "it does not happen with all photoshop users", but something else is causing it.

The two screenshots, while I don't know what they mean, I'm hoping someone capable of understanding them might be able to help. Otherwise, a point in the right direction for where I could get help from would be great as well. The best I can make of them is that my PC is unable to write to my SSD/HDD for whatever reason.

Edited by CaptMytre, 07 December 2014 - 10:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users