Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

You need to fix your how to, Nick.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:10 AM

Nick, after being shown how to take screen-shots of the active window why haven't you fixed your how to to reflect this so people don't have to download a useless program? Well, I guess it isn't useless to those who don't know how to do it!

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:03 AM

bmike1, some distros doesn't come with out of the box support for screenshots, while others such as Linux Mint does. 

Nick posted that for the ones who doesn't have such software or an app installed. 

Of course, there's also more than one way of doing things. It's not like Shutter is going to consume a huge amount of drive space. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:06 AM

well then he needs to mention the way to do it if the os supports it.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

I notice in your sig that you have been using Linux since 1998. Well then why don't you share all those years of Linux experience with us and do a few tuts and help out instead of being so negative all the time.

I notice you original post and a reply here, Yet you dont provide any information just negativity.

Edited by NickAu, 07 December 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#5 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:40 PM

dude..... you started the how-to (How to post a screen shot Linux style.

and I wanted to add a post onto it stating you press alt-print_screen but the how-to won't allow posts. I then created a separate topic concerning the alt-print_screen but someone deleted it. so you can delete this thread too but please modify your how-to to tell people that some versions allow you to capture the active window with alt-print_screen. and where am I being negative?

--edit--

well, maybe it wasn't deleted. maybe I canceled the post. but no..... someone replied to that thread that was deleted.

Edited by bmike1, 07 December 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 05:58 PM

Alright, Ladies and Gentlemen, let us all try to remember that as well as being a helpful forum this is supposed to a friendly one as well.

I can remember, in my somewhat younger days - ie when I was as green as grass, signing contracts E&OM = Errors and Omissions excepted. We all, even I, can make mistakes and even go so far as to offer mistaken advice.

There is an ancient Latin tag - Errare humanum est. Which if I can remember the Latin people tried to thump into me at school means 'To err is human'.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:11 PM

This post was made in response to a post that was removed by another moderator. I posted this before it was removed. I deleted my quote from that post, however this post will remain.

1) Locked topics are easy to spot. You will see this on the right side of the page just above the first post.
topic-locked.png

2) A staff member made the determination that the topic would be locked and proceeded to lock it. Staff will decide whether to unlock it or not.

3) It does not have to be unlocked for Stolen to reply in the topic. As a moderator she has the ability to reply in locked topics.
It's up to Stolen whether to reply or not.

4) There is no need to have it posted in every forum. If someone wants to know how to do it he/she can ask. Even if it were pinned in every forum, there is no guarantee someone would see it and read it. We do get questions about how to do something despite the fact that a pinned topic about whatever they want to know is available.

5) If Nick and Stolen want to collaborate, they will. The choice to do so is theirs to make.

6) Private messages are just that, PRIVATE. Never assume it is ok to post in public what someone else told you via pm. It's not OK to post them without permission nor is it okay to say "XYZ sent me a pm and told me/said..."

7) It's time to stop the back and forth arguing over this and get back to the business of helping others with their Linux questions and issues.

8) This topic will be locked if this continues.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 December 2014 - 01:05 AM.

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,402 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:32 AM

some versions allow you to capture the active window with alt-print_screen

Kubuntu isn't one of them.

While I agree with the principle of avoiding installing unnecessary software, it seems that Nick's advice relates to all Linux distros.

Do you know of a way to take screenshots of a window that applies to all Linux distros, that doesn't involve installing additional software?

Edited by Al1000, 08 December 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#9 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:40 PM

well I think he should mention the way to do it if the os supports it.

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,402 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

"The way" that KDE supports, for example, is using KSnap.

Do you think that should be mentioned as well as the way that your OS supports?

I can see the point in trying to keep tutorials as simple as possible.

Edited by Al1000, 08 December 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#11 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

What is so difficult about one more sentence? "Some operating systems support the ability of making a screen-shot of the active window by pressing the alt key and the print screen key at the same time." Or something like that.

Edited by bmike1, 08 December 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:27 PM

well I think he should mention the way to do it if the os supports it.

Let's be realistic here for just a minute. How is one expected to know this for dozens of popular distros, let alone the hundreds few uses. 

Shutter is an easy to use app that's in the Software Manager of many popular Linux OS's & it takes only seconds to install. That's what Nick was showing us all, an easy way to do screen captures. 

There is no need to carry on like this, this nitpicky conversation needs to end. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 08 December 2014 - 11:29 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:40 PM

There is no need to carry on like this, this nitpicky conversation needs to end.

Yes, it does need to end.

Trying to argue the point does no one any good.

This topic is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users