Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UPGRADE !...SSD or RAM..that is the question...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:36 AM

Aspire 5633 WLMi

1  (yes, one !) Gb Ram

120Gb HD

Model No. BL 50

Bit slow

Do i upgrade the HD to a SSD ?

Do i upgrade the ram ?

Which will give the better response ?

Bear in mind...I am in Australia......so places like newegg etc etc are not an option....(I wish they were)

If you need the numbers etc off the actual memory stick....I can do that.

Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:09 AM

Well 1 GB of RAM is not much. Work on that first, because though the SSD will give you better read/write times, RAM is going to help you much more right now. What kind of RAM do you have? If it is lower end memory (DDR or DDR2), you should be able to upgrade that as well without much expense and get the SSD too. SSD will of course be the most expensive part.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:26 PM

I agree that memory will be the more noticeable upgrade.  But if you could pull an upgrade on both, that would be ideal.

I see your MB is upgradeable to 4GB.... I would def max it out with (2) 2 GB sticks.

Don't just double it to 2GB total.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

Upgrading the memory to 4Gb appears to be the way to go.....I searched on ebay....and the only memory i can find that matches the numbers on the installed 1gb stick......is in

LITHUANIA  !!!!

(2Rx8  PC2-5300S-555-12-E3)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 TNF

TNF

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

Upgrading the memory to 4Gb appears to be the way to go.....I searched on ebay....and the only memory i can find that matches the numbers on the installed 1gb stick......is in

LITHUANIA  !!!!

(2Rx8  PC2-5300S-555-12-E3)

You don't need that model of ram.

You will be tossing what you have and replacing it with (2) 2GB sticks (Your laptop will take up to 4GB).

Here is some that I found, based on your laptop specs....

PNY $24 for 2GB

They are probably all over ebay, I didn't check.

But according to this site, two of the ones I linked should work.

Edited by TNF, 08 December 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:02 PM

Hey condo.

What OS are you running on that PC?

Ram for sure.

Can you run XP on ssd nowdays?

Edited by NickAu, 08 December 2014 - 11:37 PM.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:56 AM

Windows 7 Ultimate.....used by a very pretty sidekick of mine...(sorry Nick....no ubuntu etc on here !)

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:19 AM

I was asking in case it was XP.

Go the ram first then if you like a SSD.

(sorry Nick....no ubuntu etc on here !)

You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now, Take your Ubuntu ISO and use it,  Give in to your anger. Strike Microsoft down, With each passing moment you make yourself more Linus Torvalds' servant, It is unavoidable. It is your destiny, You will install Ubuntu, Give yourself to the Dark Side, We have cookies.

Edited by NickAu, 09 December 2014 - 01:21 AM.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:57 AM

If it'll hold 4GB RAM, go for it, much more performance gain over 2GB. 

You can grab a SSD on promo somewhere. Being that I don't live in your region, don't know how the retailers works. But I have purchased components from Australian eBay sellers, and the price was only slightly higher, due to exchange rates, which I feel is a two way ripoff. 

Being you live there, you can avoid this, DDR2 RAM is quite common & on eBay, at a lower cost than high performance DDR3 RAM. 

The SSD, you need to get from a retailer. 

While I don't know much about how the Australian retail channels works, I do understand that wages are higher, those who are retired/disabled draws more than most of the same in the US, property values seems to hold well, and one of the best things of all, no national debt to saddle future generations. 

What's the deal with the availability of components? Seems that with as many citizens in the country, retailers would flourish, and there would be an equivalent of Newegg type retailers all over the place, or at least enough to meet demand. Especially considering the number of members on tech forums from the region, whom are high in numbers. 

There is something missing from the overall picture, I know that taxes are higher, but there must be something else. 

What is it? 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:06 AM

HERE is the url of the search page..

and I selected these few as shining examples..

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:08 AM

Nick !....you have been watching/listening to that windows cd spinning in reverse haven't you ??........ :hysterical:

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:36 AM

@TNF....thank you !  You hit the nail on the head !

Ram is ordered  (from hong kong, cat1092)

I will wait and see how that runs....(and how the purse strings are going..)......and then look for a SSD

Thank you Everyone !!

Brian

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:13 AM

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=ssd+256gb&_frs=1

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:18 AM

I'm drooling already.....I can see an early xmas pressie in my immediate future...

Thanks Nick !

GcnI1aH.jpg

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:10 AM

That Crucial MX100 looks like a great deal. Brand is reliable, was the 1st SSD I purchased (a 128GB m4), and also the last, a 256GB M550 mSATA, that's the fastest SSD that I have. 

That KingFast brand looks kind of fishy, first time have heard of it. 

I read the provided links about the pricing, it appears as though this may be partially due to this. 

The Australian Retailers Association defended high local prices.

Pricing was high before Big Internet came along, now they're saying they're "threatened" by online sellers. 

While I agree that tariffs on goods drives up prices, we must remember where those tariffs goes. No wonder the national debt is zero from year to year. The government is too greedy. 

Otherwise, as I understand things, there's some great places to live there, and a lot of fun to be had.  :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users