Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chip running fast

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 threebills

threebills

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:06 AM

hoping i can get some info,im novice to intermediate with computers.I just picked out my first build and put it together:

INTEL I7 4790K 4 GHZ

ASUS Z97-AR MOBO

SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD 128 GIG

KINGSTON HYPER-X   2X8 GIG DDR3 1600 MHZ

NVIDIA GTX 660 TI DDR5 VID CARD

CORSAIR CX 750 WATT POWER SUPPLY

everything runs fine,i installed PIRIFORM SPECCY to see how its running and noticed the chips cores are running between 4.2 and 4.4 GHZ,when i thought it was supposed to run 4 ghz normally,and overclocked around 4.4 GHZ.I did not change anything in the BIOS,nor did i hit any turbo switches(1 for the CPU and 1 for the ram on the MOBO)Also the core temps were fine(between 87 -95 FH idle,highest i seen was 115 FH on a vid game)like i said im fairly new at this,so im wondering is this normal or did i just get a good chip?Thank you in advance .......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:11 AM

Its a relatively new build. Asus Z97 may have auto boost clock on to give you a little extra umph when needed. I wouldnt complain about getting extra speed out of the chip without heat being an issue. 

Gavin Seabrook

#3 threebills

threebills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:24 AM

sounds good,ya im definitley not complaining,was just curious.Thanks for the reply

#4 Greg-.-

Greg-.-

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:04 PM

i picked up the same chip  hopefully mine will be like yours. best of luck with it.

#5 threebills

threebills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:02 PM

TYVM greg,good luck  to you! hope youre as happy with it as i am

#6 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:26 AM

Certain Intel CPUs can automatically overclock a little bit. My Core i7-2600K will jump from 1.6 GHz to 3.8 depending on demand for the CPU. It's rated for 3.4 GHz and has a max turbo frequency of 3.8 that it will automatically use in the right conditions. If I want to I can push it to run faster than 3.8 GHz. The unlocked 'K' CPUs can be overclocked higher than their max turbo frequency with good cooling. Your motherboard might have a BIOS feature you can enable that will try to automatically find a higher overclock that is stable. Or, you can manually change settings in the BIOS setup. I recommend you look for some guides about using your motherboard to overclock your CPU. If you don't know what you're doing you can break your CPU or significantly shorten it's lifespan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users