Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

backing up my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dewitt dennison

dewitt dennison

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:41 PM

i have an optiplex 755 with windows xp, which i've copied a bootable copy of to another hard drive. can someone explain to an old rookie how to connect my copy to my computer and save my data and changes to my bootable copy.   thx  dewitt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:16 AM

Generally you would be better off setting up an actual backup solution as compared to just making a bootable duplicate. There are two options to do this, the first being an internal RAID controller and mirroring your drive to the other (Raid Level 1), but this would require you performing a normal backup to an external drive, reformatting, and restoring your backup. After this your 2nd drive will be a realtime updating clone of the 1st drive. 

The 2nd cheaper option would be backing up to an external hard drive on a daily basis. Windows XP has its own backup software but sometimes can be a pain. I would go with a third party backup software (there are plenty of free ones out there) and just set it to automatically backup daily to that external drive. This way if your drive ever fails, you just get a new drive, reinstall Windows and then restore your backup.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:07 AM

FWIW:  Using a RAID is not the only solution for obtaining a copy of a partition/drive...in fact, it's a roundabout, more expensive way of simply cloning the partition/drive.  There are innumerable programs that facilitate making a clone of a hard drive, with Macrium Reflect being the one I favor.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users