Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about wired network.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:51 PM

Hi folks , i have one computer and i am in a small house , i don't have a router because i just use ethernet .  What should i pick , a homegroup , workplace or public and should i have network sharing and printer sharing on?

It's just me with one computer. 

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:04 PM

You must use router otherwise you couldn't go on internet? That cable has to go in some device/router to get that pop up window with asking network location. It is easiest to use it as homegroup and if you don't use file and printer sharing don't enable it.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:00 AM

I must have a modem/router combo , it's a modem supplied by the internet provider and if i wanted WiFi i would have to pay a few dollars extra.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:41 PM

Open a command prompt(type CMD in search and hit Enter) In the black box type ipconfig and hit Enter. if the IPv4 address under Local area connection starts with 192.168 or 172.16 or 10, then you have a router/modem combo. I have a feeling it will. If it starts with something else then you just have a modem. While you don't need a router, I would get an inexpensive one. It adds a layer of protection to your network. 

file and printer sharing to who? If it's just your PC. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users