Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a new antivirus program

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 csgla

csgla

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:12 PM

I am wanting to purchase and install a new antivirus program. I want to purchase the program online but do not know how the new program will be available for me to install if purchased online direct from the company( this is the first time I've attempted to do this) my original program came already installed. Your advise would be appreciated.

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:40 PM

You will receive the serial number with the e-mail and download installation from the official site of the antivirus, after installation you will enter serial and activate product.

Edited by splico, 06 December 2014 - 08:41 PM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:08 PM

There are free AV programs that protect a system quite well...there's no real need to pay for an AV program, IMO.

Louis

#4 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:21 PM

Only if you are business user there is need for payed antivirus. But hey don't you feel safer if it's not free :D :D :D

Edited by splico, 06 December 2014 - 09:22 PM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:47 PM

Instead of buying one outright, you should be able to download a trial of the program. The trial will be fully functional.

A try before you buy approach will give you chance to see if the program plays nice with your computer, if the user interface is easy to use, etc.

You would not want to buy something that caused issues for your computer, such as sudden slowness.

If it works for your computer and you like it, don't purchase until the very end of the trial period.
If you have to enter an email address for the trial, you may get an offer for a special deal. In other words, on sale.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 December 2014 - 09:49 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

Although you can still purchase a boxed CD in a store or from sites like Amazon, downloading the full setup file online is the most common way to purchase and install an anti-virus these days.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8 New, 1 year/1 PC, Download Version

New license, 1 year, 1 PC
Download version (no CD shipment)
Free technical support

Be sure to read...Steps for Replacing your Anti-virus
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users