Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive failure - Compaq Presario CQ5500F

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:05 PM

Hubby's computer just shut down today & when I re-booted it, received:  "a disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". Multiple restarts resulted in the same error message.  I did know how to check & make sure the boot order was HDD first. No matter what I did (tried recovery CD), still came up with the same error.  I assume the hard drive is dead?  Two questions:  1) Can I recover any files from the computer and 2) since I have no idea what to do when it comes to the "guts" of a desktop, what kind of hard drive should I look for online as a replacement?  Thanks for your help.  

Here's the computer specs:  

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02131049#N94

Error 1:

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p656/Bamaluver15/Error1_zpsd2087765.jpg

Error2:

http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p656/Bamaluver15/Error2_zpsfb4bcea7.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:20 PM

Recovering files from failing HDD could be impossible. I would suggest you find some data recovery company in your area and give it a shot, I truly believe it is impossible to recover data  by yourself on drive that is really not working. Your pictures says S.M.A.R.T. is failing on that drive meaning it is probably dead for good but there are some procedures that could recover you data which only specialized companies do and they charge a good money for it if they succeed. Or you can try connecting HDD to another PC and try it yourself with some data recovery software which I doubt will help if problem is hardware related damaged drive as it looks to me in your case. 

Louis gave some links in my old post with free software that can do the job:

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download - http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Partition Find and Mount — free partition recovery software - http://findandmount.com/

Recover files from Windows hard disk using Puppy Linux help.artaro.eu - http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/data-recovery/recover-files-from-hard-disk.html

Recover Files Using Puppy Linux (Artrooks) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic431221.html

Recovery Software, Partition Table Doctor - http://www.ptdd.com/

Recovery Software, Recover My Files - http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

I recommend using Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery, because with free software I had problem recovering files that had non standard language signs in file names like č,ć,ž,š,đ where every free software for recovery was failing until Stellar. Maybe that issue is fixed now and not related to you but it is good to know.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:01 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestion & links.  What should I look for when purchasing new hard drive?  Do I try to get the same thing I had or what?  I've found online sites that have them for various prices, but I have no idea what to purchase.

This is what's in the machine.  Hard drive: 500 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) 7200 rpm

I do have another desktop that had a windows problem, but there was nothing wrong with the hard drive.  Would I harm my current computer if I tried to switch them out or are they totally incompatible?  This is the hard drive in the old desktop:  HARD DRIVE, 160GB, Serial ATA, 8MB, 7.2K, WD-XL80

#4 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:30 AM

Changing HDD from PC to PC usually don't work if not the at least Windows 7. On XP was normal to get BSOD after that, on Windows 7 or 9 never happened to me but that doesn't mean it is not possible. I am almost certain that HDD from you old PC will work in the one with  dead HDD they are both Serial ATA drives and that would probably be the only thing to look on except the needed capacity. There are some problems with older SATA controllers and new HDD with new SATA standard but most of them is solved with jumper replacement in 99% scenarios.

Edited by splico, 07 December 2014 - 07:31 AM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#5 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:18 PM

Thank you again for your help!  

#6 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

Splico -- am I allowed to whine & update this status?  With a friend's help, we were able to replace the dead hard drive in the Compaq Presario CG5500F with that of an older model Dell.  Of course, the hard drive on the Dell had Windows XP on it.  If I could kick my own rear end for the numerous times the Compaq asked to make copies of the OS, I would - but it's a little late now to cry over spilled milk.  The Compaq was loaded with a Windows 7 -  home premium 64 bit (OEM version of course).  I even tried downloading the OS from a file Bleeping Computers recommended since I do have an activation key (even though I know by switching out HD's, even that might not work).  It took hours to download, but I couldn't get it to a disk - even with a burner.  It said the disk wasn't large enough, so I bought a 8 gb thumb drive and it said that was too small??  

Back to the switch.  The old Dell HD is now in the newer Compaq.  Everything boots up great, it's quick - but I have no access the internet.  In fact, I don't even see a darn internet icon anywhere.  I called my local ISP and he about chopped my head off telling me I needed network drivers. So, I assume I can look for the driver on the web on copy it onto a thumb drive, but am I seeking a XP driver or the original ones that came on the Compaq?

I do have a "not for retail" version of Windows 7 - Professional 32 bit, but I sure don't see an activation key anywhere.  It was distributed through the Microsoft Partner Program to my husbands small business.  

Thoughts?

PS - not worried about recovering any files -- just getting a machine going for my husband to check his email, browse the web, etc.  Basic needs.

Edited by Bamagirl15, 12 December 2014 - 05:35 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:18 PM

I do have a "not for retail" version of Windows 7 - Professional 32 bit, but I sure don't see an activation key anywhere.  It was distributed through the Microsoft Partner Program to my husbands small business.  

I believe that the key on such disks...is embedded in the install mechanism, with no user entry of key required.  I could be wrong but there's nothing to lose by trying an install, IMO.

Louis

#8 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 12:04 AM

Thank you Louis.  I assume this would solve my "network driver" issue?  If it doesn't work, I know I can go back and re-install the XP OS and go from there with the driver issues. 

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:48 PM

It may not solve anything, I was just answering your question about your disks.

Louis

#10 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

Louis:  The Windows 7 installation worked fine & you were right, there's no key.  Once I installed it, all the drivers were back in place that had disappeared when I had to install Windows XP.  Thanks for your help once again.  BTW - enjoy Bleeping Computer's Facebook page.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

:thumbup2: , glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users