Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no net w/home wifi; good elsewhere; home hardline good

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bhl

bhl

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:57 PM

The title says almost everything.  Acer laptop Win 7 64 bit.   About a couple of weeks ago when connecting to my home wifi, I couldn't get a net connection even though I was connected to the gateway.  I can get connectivity through my relatives secure wifi though.  Other devices can connect through the home wifi.   The modem/wifi is one of the xfinity models.  I can get net connection when plugged in directly.  I have also checked the gateway and verified that the laptop is recognized as connected.

At this point I'm clueless.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 December 2014 - 06:10 PM.
moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

You can always try setting static IP to Wifi adapter and testing internet connection that way by trying PING command to gateway and some internet adress as www.google.hr. Post the results before doing CMD commands below.

There are some CMD commands that do reset of network configuration, you must start CMD as administrator and enter:

netsh int ip reset c:\log.txt press enter then proceed with next command:

netsh int ip reset

Restart PC and test connection after.

Edited by splico1985, 06 December 2014 - 06:50 PM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 bhl

bhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:14 PM

I configured the static IP but wasn't sure what to do with the DNS server setting.  Pinging the gateway indicates communication.  ipconfig indicates that there is no DNS suffix for all tunnel adapters.

#4 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

You can set static Google DNS to 8.8.8.8 or your gateways address.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#5 bhl

bhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:49 PM

Thanks.  my son is out with laptop.  I did an experiment with my desktop using wifi instead of enet and it had the same problem.  So I accessed the gateway via wifi saw the desktop user.  I opened the user and it was set to assign DNS automatically.  I clicked ok and then I had full connectivity.   strange.  I'm going to try that tomorrow with the laptop.  If that doesn't work, I'll try with a static address.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:16 AM

Unplug the routers power and plug it back in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users