Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk read error, press ctrl, alt, delete to restart

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 erbutterfield

erbutterfield

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:50 PM

Was trying to reuse an older Acer Aspire M5640 to make a PC-DVR.  I had a recovery disk that was made by best buy's geek squad when this computer was purchased.  So, since all the data had already been transfered to a new computer years ago, I figured i'd just format the disk and use the recovery disk to reinstall everything.  Recovery disk is clearly marked as 1 of 1, however after getting to about 57%, i got a message to please insert next disc???  i didn't have another disk?  

After realizing that this was a big problem i didn't know what to do.. I went ahead and powered it down & tried to start over, but on boot up i get the disk read error.  Pressing ctrl, alt, delete doesn't restart the system either.  I have to power it off manually.  

I borrowed a buddy's windows vista install disk figuring maybe i could boot from it and just enter my key.  When i hit f12, it brings up the boot menu and I selected booting from the cd/dvd drive and it goes directly to the disk read error screen.

I'm lost,  anyone experience this or have an idea?  I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

Are you 100% sure that your Vista installation from friend is working? It looks like it doesn't do boot from installation media. I remember some problems with Vista installation not seeing HDD drive untill formatted from another PC but this shouldn't be the issue in your case.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 erbutterfield

erbutterfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

I think it's good.  Not sure exactly how to tell if it's good or not? Is there a way to tell without installing it on my windows 8 computer i'm also guessing i'll have to go to the Acer website and download all the drivers for the system since the recovery disk isn't working....  any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users