Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vintage laptop - External floppy drive?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 benjermin96

benjermin96

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:13 PM

Hello,

I'm hoping someone may be able to answer a question about a vintage laptop.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDS.

As of now, it's OS-less, and it won't recognize the CD-ROM drive (when I type D: it says invalid drive specification).

Before I can reinstall Windows 98, (or even MS DOS), I need to have a floppy drive. The 430CDS's drive is swappable, you can either put in a CD drive or a Floppy drive within the actual computer. It also has support for an external floppy drive.

So, I ordered an external Toshiba FDD caddy, but it does'nt fit the 430CDS.

Before I make this same mistake again, I need to know if a certain external drive I'm looking at on the internet will fit with my laptop.

The objects number is 400ADAPT. I just need to know if it is compatible with the Satellite Pro 430CDS.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:43 PM

I found this. If you tap the "C" key on power up, you should be able to boot from the CD Rom Drive. You can test this on any small bootable iso. The Bootdisk for Windows98Se would be a good one to try.

It also seems that you set parameters with a Toshiba Uitlity called tsetup. I remember this on a very old Toshiba I had once.

#3 benjermin96

benjermin96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

I tried pressing C upon startup, but got nothing but a bunch of beeps and then a command line with a bunch of c's.

I'm at a loss what to do now. I'm determined to get this thing working again, but I just keep hitting walls. I would even be satisfied to get MS DOS installed.

#4 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

I have same notebook and have external floppy that works. It doesn't have any model number but on the back is written: Toshiba FDD attachment case. It has non standard connector which I don't know the name but it looks like this one: http://cavlon.com/zcstore/images/CI2164.jpg

My opinion is any FDD from Toshiba with that connector should work.

Edited by splico1985, 06 December 2014 - 05:31 PM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

The only other option after purchasing a floppy drive that will fit is to attach the laptop hard drive to another computer using a USB adapter, install DOS with CD rom support. Put the hard drive back into the computer and then install Windows 95 after you boot to DOS. Can you RMA back the floppy drive that does not attach?

I can't understand why this computer cannot boot from CD?

#6 benjermin96

benjermin96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:58 PM

splico...thanks. Does this look like the same thing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261632818718?lpid=82

John, thanks, I'll try that as a last resort, if the floppy fails.

I'm not sure why I can't boot from CD.

When this message is displayed, (Invalid drive specification), is it a problem with the actual drive, or the CD within the drive?

Thanks

#7 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:58 PM

The only other option after purchasing a floppy drive that will fit is to attach the laptop hard drive to another computer using a USB adapter, install DOS with CD rom support. Put the hard drive back into the computer and then install Windows 95 after you boot to DOS. Can you RMA back the floppy drive that does not attach?

I can't understand why this computer cannot boot from CD?

Old school has no boot from CD option. Boot from floppy then start installation from CD if I am remembering correct was the normal procedure.

splico...thanks. Does this look like the same thing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261632818718?lpid=82

John, thanks, I'll try that as a last resort, if the floppy fails.

I'm not sure why I can't boot from CD.

When this message is displayed, (Invalid drive specification), is it a problem with the actual drive, or the CD within the drive?

Thanks

Sticker and connector on that floppy looks exactly as mine, case is bit different.
Mine looks like this one on Ebay and has list of compatible models, maybe helps you finding some listing that has one of those models saying that is compatible with to be 100% sure, I don't say that your ebay link is not compatible just recommending the way to be sure.

Edited by splico1985, 06 December 2014 - 06:08 PM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:15 PM

That is correct. Windows 98 and 95 disks cannot boot. Only if you have a bootable floppy. I was thinking you could install DOS on the HD with CD support. Boot the HD to a prompt then install 95. Just as an experiment, I created a bootable CD of Windows 95. I used an iso manager to copy the boot files from a floppy and added it to the Windows 95 iso I created. Burned the iso and booted to the A:\ prompt. Then I was able to access the CD drive and start setup but the toshiba cannot boot from a bootable CD  It's not even an option in BIOS and that is frustrating.

My memory does not go back that far. I can't remember if these old computers could even boot from a CD. It's been years since I got rid of that old Toshiba.

#9 benjermin96

benjermin96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

The game plan is to wait for another floppy drive to come in the mail, then go from there.

I'll let you know if it works or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users