Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting Computer

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 FarmerButch

FarmerButch

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:34 AM

Hey,

i've come here to ask on how do i format my whole computer, clean the whole thing out and yes ive backed up already so now all i need to do is clean it, yes i know it will clean the WHOLE THING so please tell me how to :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:07 AM

Get the Windows 7 or 8 install DVD, boot from it, select custom installation and delete every parition, create new one and proceed with installation. Don't forget to backup files before that and maybe make a list od devices for which you need drivers or download drivers before, sometimes Windows can't install any network driver without internet and then you are screwed if you don't have other PC near.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:55 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

splico 1985 suggested using the Windows 8 DVD to do the format and installation.  Since you have posted in the Windows 7 forum I have to assume you are running Windows 7.  If this is the case you can't use the product key to install Windows 8.  You would have to purchase the Windows 8 operating system in order to install it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 FarmerButch

FarmerButch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for the help splico but umm.....

......where do i find this install DVD? btw my computer is  dell (just so you know) 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:53 AM

If it's a Dell system, it came with a recovery mechanism which wouid restore all to condition it was when purchased.

Depending on the model, your Dell system documentation should tell you how to use the recover mechanism.

Dell model?

Why do you feel the need to start all over?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 December 2014 - 09:54 AM.

#6 FarmerButch

FarmerButch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:10 AM

Well, 1 cuz i wanna delete EVERYTHING in my pc and im too lazy to do it manually and 2, i've heard that if u do this, ur pc gets faster, i want it to get faster so i can make some game streams and videos for youtube.

Also, my father bought this computer not exactly from the official company, he bought it from his friend who is a computer tech, though the computer wasn't used it was brand new + he got a slight discount and free softwares like Photoshop 7.

And i think i saw a Dell CD once in my computer parts storage, it was written dell and with a black cover, is that the one?

Edited by FarmerButch, 07 December 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:16 AM

What Louis was referring to is the System Recovery partition.  This will remove the content on the hdd and install the operating system.  This would have the same effect as performing a clean install, speed included.  It has a couple of large advantages.  It will install all of the drivers, so you won't have to go online to get these and then install them.  The other advantage is that this can be set in motion by pressing a few keys, it is actually easier than performing a clean installation.

We need the model of this Dell in order to provide you with instructions for using the recovery partition.

Edited by dc3, 07 December 2014 - 10:17 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:24 AM

...and 2, i've heard that if u do this, ur pc gets faster, i want it to get faster so i can make some game streams and videos for youtube.

Who told you so?  It would be helpful if you could provide a URL where found out about this.

#9 FarmerButch

FarmerButch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:00 AM

Well Agouti, i saw it in a youtube video in the comments, dont seem to remember also, my friend told me that too.

And dc3 how do i check my Dell model?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:16 AM

@Agouti

This is not new, there are those who will perform a clean installation just for this purpose.  When I do a clean installation of Windows for a client the first thing they notice is how much faster their computer is.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:18 AM

And dc3 how do i check my Dell model?

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

#12 FarmerButch

FarmerButch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:25 AM

Its a windows 7 proffesional desktop with intel core i3 and it has optiplex 790 written on it

Edited by FarmerButch, 08 December 2014 - 04:26 AM.

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:05 AM

@dc3

The OP is saying "formatting" gets a computer faster not a clean install.  Since when did a clean install come into this?  Are you just assuming that is what the OP wants without asking him?

#14 FarmerButch

FarmerButch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:30 AM

What is OP?

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

Original poster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users