Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recurring Limited Access Wireless Connectivity Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RoadRock

RoadRock

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:02 AM

Hello,

Recently I have been experiencing recurring internet connectivity issues. Roughly every 30 minutes, my laptop will report limited connectivity to my home's wireless network and I will lose internet access. Disconnecting and reconnecting to the wireless network will allow me to temporarily regain internet access (up until my computer inevitably loses its internet connection again due to the limited connectivity issue). This issue appeared suddenly, but I suspect it might be due to a virus of some kind (as I have neither installed any software recently nor have I tampered with my computer's internet settings). I also believe the wireless network is fully functional as I am able to access internet at all times using other computers and wifi devices (even when my laptop is reporting limited connectivity). I ran a Norton 360 Full System Scan and a Malwarebytes Anti-malware scan but to no avail.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:57 AM

Try to set static IP and check if the issues exists after. Try also disabling power managment of Wifi card in Device manager, I doubt that is the issue but can't  do no harm.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:03 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:16 PM

something in your home or area could be interfering, cordless telephones are a big offender when it comes to this issue, when i say a cordless phone i dont mean a cell phone, i mean a cordless phone plugged into a home phone line, it could even be a neighbours phone in your area,

when i run into this problem i change the broadcast frequency of the router, most routers give you about 12 different channels, start at the highest one, if the problem keeps coming back move to the second highest and so on

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:56 PM

something in your home or area could be interfering

RoadRock posted that other computer

I am able to access internet at all times using other computers and wifi devices (even when my laptop is reporting limited connectivity). 

There isn't any indication that interference is the issue here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 RoadRock

RoadRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

What is the make and model of this computer?

It's a Digital Storm x15E Laptop (Model: 9150).

Try to set static IP and check if the issues exists after. Try also disabling power managment of Wifi card in Device manager, I doubt that is the issue but can't  do no harm.

I am unable to do so as it is a residential network (my ISP doesn't provide me with the option to establish a static IP).

something in your home or area could be interfering, cordless telephones are a big offender when it comes to this issue, when i say a cordless phone i dont mean a cell phone, i mean a cordless phone plugged into a home phone line, it could even be a neighbours phone in your area,

when i run into this problem i change the broadcast frequency of the router, most routers give you about 12 different channels, start at the highest one, if the problem keeps coming back move to the second highest and so on

Interference from the neighbor's cordless phone might be the issue. I've changed the channel per your advice. I'll try it out and report back. Thanks for your feedback. 

#7 RoadRock

RoadRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:53 PM

A quick update: Trying various channels has not resolved the issue.

#8 RoadRock

RoadRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:32 AM

Bump. I'm still having the same connectivity problem. Hopefully an admin might be able to chime in.

#9 RoadRock

RoadRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:13 AM

Well I finally solved the problem. Apparently my router was also giving off a hotspot signal which was interfering with my main wireless network. Once I called my ISP to deactivate the hotspot I no longer experienced intermittent signal loss. Thanks again for all those that chimed in.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,803 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

Good to hear that you resolved the problem. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users